Leaked Information on Emirates Cutbacks in New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, Emirates Airline announced it was cutting back on service to select US destinations because of slowed bookings. The move came in direct response to news from the White House that it would hinder travel from the Middle East (and other countries) to the US, including limits as to what people can bring on the plane with the electronics ban. Emirates’ original announcement included five US cities: Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO), Seattle (SEA), Boston (BOS) and Los Angeles (LAX).
Today, the carrier announced it’s going to be reducing service from Dubai (DXB) to New York (JFK) — at least temporarily. According to sources, one of Emirates’ three daily nonstop flights (EK207/EK208) between DXB and JFK will be canceled between June 3 and June 30, 2017.
Emirates is describing the decision to temporarily cancel the one flight as part of its process for continually evaluating how it can best meet the demand for a specific route. We’ve reached out to the carrier for a comment but haven’t heard back from them as of this writing.
The Dubai-based carrier’s two other daily nonstop flights between the two cities (EK201/EK202 and EK205/EK206) are not affected by this change and will continue operating as normal. Service on the EK207/EK208 flights will resume on July 1, 2017. The reduced frequencies are evident when searching on Google Flights during the timeframe of June 4 and June 30:
Here’s the schedule for the impacted flight:
- EK207 Dubai (DXB) 3:00pm Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 8:45pm Arrival
- EK208 New York (JFK) 4:30pm Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 1:20pm (+1) Arrival
This is a sudden and unexpected move from Emirates. There’s no clue on where the nearly one-month cancellation dates came from, but it seems that demand has tapered off for US travel recently.
Featured image courtesy of AFP/Stringer via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees