This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Besides the Platinum Card from American Express being a great card for its earning on airfare, lounge access and other benefits, Amex has also been known to surprise cardholders with free gifts. Around the holidays, Amex sent an Amazon Echo to unsuspecting Platinum cardholders. And now, the issuer is sending around $250 BLADE gift cards to some cardholders.
TPG reader Michael S. told us that his dad received the $250 discount code. He said that he spends $100,000+ on the card in a year. Other than that information, we don’t know how Amex is targeting which Platinum cardholders get the gift.
For those not familiar, BLADE is an aviation company that offers travelers a selection of flights — from BLADE Bounce for a helicopter ride from Manhattan to area airports to trips to the Hamptons, Nantucket and more. BLADE Bounce rides start at $195, so the $250 could surely get one ride at that price. In addition, just last month, Delta announced that it was partnering with BLADE with prices for the gate-to-helicopter service at JFK starting at $250.
The Amex Platinum card currently comes with a sign-up bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months. With the card, you’ll earn 5x points on airfare booked directly with the airline and on hotels booked through amextravel.com. In addition, you’ll get up to $200 in annual Uber credits and a $200 annual airline fee credit at one airline to be used for incidentals. Plus, you never know when Amex may surprise you with a gift.
Have you gotten a BLADE gift card for being an Amex Platinum cardholder?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees