This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Besides the Platinum Card from American Express being a great card for its earning on airfare, lounge access and other benefits, Amex has also been known to surprise cardholders with free gifts. Around the holidays, Amex sent an Amazon Echo to unsuspecting Platinum cardholders. And now, the issuer is sending around $250 BLADE gift cards to some cardholders.
TPG reader Michael S. told us that his dad received the $250 discount code. He said that he spends $100,000+ on the card in a year. Other than that information, we don’t know how Amex is targeting which Platinum cardholders get the gift.
For those not familiar, BLADE is an aviation company that offers travelers a selection of flights — from BLADE Bounce for a helicopter ride from Manhattan to area airports to trips to the Hamptons, Nantucket and more. BLADE Bounce rides start at $195, so the $250 could surely get one ride at that price. In addition, just last month, Delta announced that it was partnering with BLADE with prices for the gate-to-helicopter service at JFK starting at $250.
The Amex Platinum card currently comes with a sign-up bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months. With the card, you’ll earn 5x points on airfare booked directly with the airline and on hotels booked through amextravel.com. In addition, you’ll get up to $200 in annual Uber credits and a $200 annual airline fee credit at one airline to be used for incidentals. Plus, you never know when Amex may surprise you with a gift.
Have you gotten a BLADE gift card for being an Amex Platinum cardholder?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards