Norwegian to Launch Nonstop London-Singapore Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While low-cost carrier Norwegian Air has certainly expanded its route network throughout Europe and across the Atlantic to serve the US and Caribbean, it hadn’t developed its presence so much in Asia besides its flights between Copenhagen (CPH), Oslo (OSL) and Stockholm (ARN) to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK). But, that’s all about to change now, as the carrier just announced that it’s launching nonstop service between London Gatwick (LGW) and Singapore (SIN).
The new Singapore route, which will begin this fall, will be Norwegian’s first connecting the UK to Asia. One-way tickets from LGW to SIN will start at £179 ($230) in economy and £699 ($897) in the carrier’s Premium cabin.
The service from LGW to SIN is set to launch on September 28, 2017, with 4x weekly service (Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays), with SIN-LGW service also operating 4x weekly (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays). Here’s how the schedule breaks down:
- DY7409 London Gatwick (LGW) 10:30pm Departure ⇒ Singapore (SIN) 6:15pm (+1) Arrival — Tuesdays, Saturdays
- DY7407 London Gatwick (LGW) 10:30am Departure ⇒ Singapore (SIN) 6:15am (+1 ) Arrival — Mondays, Thursdays
- DY7408 Singapore (SIN) 8:50am Departure ⇒ London Gatwick (LGW) 3:30pm Arrival — Tuesdays, Fridays
- DY7410 Singapore (SIN) 11:40pm Departure ⇒ London Gatwick (LGW) 6:20am (+1) Arrival — Wednesdays, Sundays
Each of the flights on the new route will be operated by one of the carrier’s 787 Dreamliner aircraft — the same it uses on its transatlantic service. Just like it did in the transatlantic market, Norwegian is forcing the legacy carriers — namely British Airways and Singapore Airlines — to lower their prices in order to compete with it. BA and Singapore are the only other options when it comes to nonstop flights between London and Singapore — a popular business route.
With this new route, travelers based in the US also have the chance to get to Singapore with Norwegian’s low fares. For example, a New York-based flyer could fly from New York (JFK) to London (LGW) and then on to Singapore (SIN) — all on Norwegian metal. If you’re looking to take advantage of this option (or the direct LGW-SIN route), the flights are now bookable on Norwegian’s website — but they’re not as cheap as you may think.
For example, we found a round-trip flight from New York (JFK) to Singapore (SIN) for $732 in January. That total is a bit more than what you’d get on a full-service carrier that operates on the route, such as EVA Air, United, Singapore, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, British Airways, Qatar and more. We did find, however that the trick to book through the Norwegian version of the carrier’s website works to give you some discounted fares. On the same dates as the first example, if you book in the Norwegian version of the site, the flight costs 5,373 NOK (~$627) — a 14% savings.
It’s clear that Norwegian wants to continue its expansion to all corners of the globe, and depending on the success of this route, we may see more Asian destinations on the airline’s route map in the future. Keep in mind that Norwegian is a low-cost carrier that charges for things that you may be used to getting for free. However, it could be worth it if you’re able to save a fair amount by finding cheap fares.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees