Etihad Kills Off Incredible 36,620-Mile Round-Trip Business-Class Award
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Etihad Guest program offered one of the industry’s best awards to Europe — just 36,620 miles round-trip between New York (JFK) and Brussels (BRU) on Brussels Airlines. If you had the time (and patience) to call an Etihad agent to book the award for you, it was an incredible deal. Sadly, however, the carrier has dramatically upped the cost of awards overnight.
One upside to Etihad’s devaluation is that you can now book one-way awards, which wasn’t possible before. Award prices are based on distance — economy awards range from 5,000 to 29,000 miles one-way, while business awards will run you anywhere from 9,000 to 48,000 miles one-way. While 88,000 miles round-trip for a business-class flight between JFK and BRU is still a decent deal, it’s a huge increase from the previous 36,620 miles required. Also of note is that Etihad added Washington, D.C. (IAD) to its award chart — great news for Washington-based flyers as the city wasn’t previously on the award chart.
If you don’t have any Etihad Guest miles and would like to book an award, you can transfer points from American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou or Starwood Preferred Guest. Amex points typically transfer instantly, while ThankYou points and Starpoints can take much longer to transfer (even up to two weeks in some instances).
H/T: View From the Wing
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee