Etihad Kills Off Incredible 36,620-Mile Round-Trip Business-Class Award
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Etihad Guest program offered one of the industry’s best awards to Europe — just 36,620 miles round-trip between New York (JFK) and Brussels (BRU) on Brussels Airlines. If you had the time (and patience) to call an Etihad agent to book the award for you, it was an incredible deal. Sadly, however, the carrier has dramatically upped the cost of awards overnight.
One upside to Etihad’s devaluation is that you can now book one-way awards, which wasn’t possible before. Award prices are based on distance — economy awards range from 5,000 to 29,000 miles one-way, while business awards will run you anywhere from 9,000 to 48,000 miles one-way. While 88,000 miles round-trip for a business-class flight between JFK and BRU is still a decent deal, it’s a huge increase from the previous 36,620 miles required. Also of note is that Etihad added Washington, D.C. (IAD) to its award chart — great news for Washington-based flyers as the city wasn’t previously on the award chart.
If you don’t have any Etihad Guest miles and would like to book an award, you can transfer points from American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou or Starwood Preferred Guest. Amex points typically transfer instantly, while ThankYou points and Starpoints can take much longer to transfer (even up to two weeks in some instances).
H/T: View From the Wing
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.