This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Etihad Guest program offered one of the industry’s best awards to Europe — just 36,620 miles round-trip between New York (JFK) and Brussels (BRU) on Brussels Airlines. If you had the time (and patience) to call an Etihad agent to book the award for you, it was an incredible deal. Sadly, however, the carrier has dramatically upped the cost of awards overnight.
One upside to Etihad’s devaluation is that you can now book one-way awards, which wasn’t possible before. Award prices are based on distance — economy awards range from 5,000 to 29,000 miles one-way, while business awards will run you anywhere from 9,000 to 48,000 miles one-way. While 88,000 miles round-trip for a business-class flight between JFK and BRU is still a decent deal, it’s a huge increase from the previous 36,620 miles required. Also of note is that Etihad added Washington, D.C. (IAD) to its award chart — great news for Washington-based flyers as the city wasn’t previously on the award chart.
If you don’t have any Etihad Guest miles and would like to book an award, you can transfer points from American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou or Starwood Preferred Guest. Amex points typically transfer instantly, while ThankYou points and Starpoints can take much longer to transfer (even up to two weeks in some instances).
H/T: View From the Wing
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards