This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
Delta’s SkyMiles program is infamous for its near-constant devaluations and customer-unfriendly moves, but it’s also been known to make positive changes for its elite members before its competitors do. Today, the airline has made another change that will come as welcome news for its loyal flyers.
In the past, companions traveling with elite members were only eligible for complimentary upgrades on paid tickets, but, as of today, complimentary upgrades will be available for companions flying on Miles + Cash tickets, as well as passengers traveling with Platinum Delta SkyMiles cardholders on a companion certificate. As of July 1, 2017, companions traveling on awards and Pay with Miles tickets will also be eligible for a free upgrade, if available.
If you have the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, this could present a great value for you and your companion — with the perk, you can essentially buy one ticket and get another for just the cost of the taxes and fees associated with that ticket. And, if you and your companion are able to secure an upgrade, you could end up getting a sweet deal, especially on a low-priced ticket for a long flight.
Note that earlier this morning, the above information was available on Delta.com, but as of the time of this posting it’s not visible. We reached out to Delta, which confirmed that the information is valid and the program is live.
H/T: Rene’s Points
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees