This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
Delta’s SkyMiles program is infamous for its near-constant devaluations and customer-unfriendly moves, but it’s also been known to make positive changes for its elite members before its competitors do. Today, the airline has made another change that will come as welcome news for its loyal flyers.
In the past, companions traveling with elite members were only eligible for complimentary upgrades on paid tickets, but, as of today, complimentary upgrades will be available for companions flying on Miles + Cash tickets, as well as passengers traveling with Platinum Delta SkyMiles cardholders on a companion certificate. As of July 1, 2017, companions traveling on awards and Pay with Miles tickets will also be eligible for a free upgrade, if available.
If you have the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, this could present a great value for you and your companion — with the perk, you can essentially buy one ticket and get another for just the cost of the taxes and fees associated with that ticket. And, if you and your companion are able to secure an upgrade, you could end up getting a sweet deal, especially on a low-priced ticket for a long flight.
Note that earlier this morning, the above information was available on Delta.com, but as of the time of this posting it’s not visible. We reached out to Delta, which confirmed that the information is valid and the program is live.
H/T: Rene’s Points
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards