6 Summer Music Festivals Worth Traveling For
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One telltale sign that summer’s in full swing is when music festival season kicks off. Get ready to follow your favorite acts from stages in Somerset, England, to Manchester, Tennessee, whether that means you’re camping out at farms in the middle of nowhere or dancing the night away on the beach. To get you in full festival mode, we’ve narrowed down the seemingly endless list of events happening around the globe, highlighting six of the ones you won’t want to miss this year.
1. Glastonbury Festival
Set on the 900-acre Worthy Farm in Somerset in southwestern England, Glastonbury is seen by many as the modern-day Woodstock. With more than 800 acts playing on 80 different stages, the festival brings the best in the biz, from pop stars like Katy Perry to rock legends like Radiohead. Camping fields are included in your ticket price, so pitch a tent — or Tipi if you managed to score one before they sold out — and get ready for the five-day non-stop party.
Dates: June 21-25
Headliners: Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, The Flaming Lips, Haim
Ticket Cost: Full weekend tickets are £238 (~$304), plus a £5 (~$6) booking fee
VIP Access: Not applicable
2. Primavera Sound
Now in its 17th year, Barcelona‘s Primavera Sound will bring more than 200 acts — from punk band Descendents to the legendary Grace Jones — to this five-day indie and electronic festival that’s one of the largest in Europe.
Dates: May 31-June 4
Headliners: Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Frank Ocean, The xx, Slayer, Solange, Van Morrison
Ticket Cost: Full festival tickets are already sold out, but you can buy a day ticket for Thursday for 80 euros (~$86)
VIP Access: Sold Out
3. Hangout Music Festival
Half of Hangout’s allure is its beachside locale, set on the sand in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Think of this as a grown-up version of summer vacation, complete with oceanside condo stays and dancing on the beach to a top-notch lineup that gets better every year.
Dates: May 19-21
Headliners: Mumford & Sons, MGMT, Major Lazer, Weezer, Chance the Rapper, Frank Ocean
Ticket Cost: $309 for a general admission wristband
VIP Access: Tickets start at $1,099 and include access to the Thursday kick-off party, stage-side pool and food and drinks all weekend long. If you really want to go all out, Super VIP tickets are $1,599 and include gourmet fare and hot tubs with prime views of main stage acts.
4. The Governors Ball Music Festival
The best part about this music fest is how convenient it is to reach. Set on Randall’s Island in New York City, the three-day event is perfect for those who can’t make it to larger festivals across the States — or who aren’t big on camping — but still want to catch big-name acts like Flume and Phoenix.
Dates: June 2-4
Headliners: Phoenix, Flume, Lorde, Childish Gambino, Air, Wiz Khalifa
Ticket Cost: $125 per day or $335 for a three-day pass
VIP Access: $285 per day or $740 for a regular three-day VIP pass; VIP Plus is sold out
5. Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival
Crowds of up to 80,000 make their way to the farm in Manchester, Tennessee, each June for four days of music, art, comedy and camping. Catch 150 performances from heavy hitters like U2 spread across 10 different stages, with music that plays on until sunrise.
Dates: June 8-11
Headliners: U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Weeknd, Chance the Rapper
Ticket Cost: From $349.50 for a four-day pass or $210.50 for a one-day ticket, which includes a Nashville shuttle pass
VIP Access: From $1,648.50 for a pair of two VIP tickets
As if you needed another reason to visit Chicago, Lollapalooza’s not a bad one. The four-day festival in the center of the city brings together more than 170 bands from across the globe, as well as some of the Windy City’s best eats.
Dates: August 3-6
Headliners: Muse, Arcade Fire, The xx, The Killers, The Shins, Blink-182
Ticket Cost: Sold Out
VIP Access: From $650 for one day or $2,200 for all four days
Which music festivals are on your summer travel bucket list? Tell us about your favorites, below.
Featured image courtesy of Lollapalooza’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees