Watch as a Winter Storm Closes Runways and Causes Tons of Delays at Denver International Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nothing can mess up a traveler’s day like weather-related air traffic control (ATC) issues. One moment, everything looks clear, but the next thing you know, you’re delayed three hours. I happened to be at Denver International Airport (DEN) one morning this week as a freakish storm blew over the airport.
The morning started beautifully, with a radiant orange sunrise reflecting off clouds that were blowing in off the Colorado Front Range. Around 7:00AM, I took notice of how fast the clouds were moving, and how low they were to the ground, so I took out my iPhone and started filming this crazy aviation video on the Hyperlapse app. Total filming time was exactly five minutes, but the app compressed the video into 38-second long timelapse.
The brief storm brought high winds, blowing dust, and snow flurries — causing hundreds of flights to be delayed or cancelled because ATC shut down the four North-South runways at DEN. Planes were only allowed to land on the two East-West runways (into the wind), and were only departing from one. Winds were sustained over 30 miles per hour for much os the day, and gusted as high as 57MPH.
What’s the worst weather delay, or scariest in-flight weather you’ve ever experienced? Let us know in the comments, below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees