Watch as a Winter Storm Closes Runways and Causes Tons of Delays at Denver International Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nothing can mess up a traveler’s day like weather-related air traffic control (ATC) issues. One moment, everything looks clear, but the next thing you know, you’re delayed three hours. I happened to be at Denver International Airport (DEN) one morning this week as a freakish storm blew over the airport.
The morning started beautifully, with a radiant orange sunrise reflecting off clouds that were blowing in off the Colorado Front Range. Around 7:00AM, I took notice of how fast the clouds were moving, and how low they were to the ground, so I took out my iPhone and started filming this crazy aviation video on the Hyperlapse app. Total filming time was exactly five minutes, but the app compressed the video into 38-second long timelapse.
The brief storm brought high winds, blowing dust, and snow flurries — causing hundreds of flights to be delayed or cancelled because ATC shut down the four North-South runways at DEN. Planes were only allowed to land on the two East-West runways (into the wind), and were only departing from one. Winds were sustained over 30 miles per hour for much os the day, and gusted as high as 57MPH.
What’s the worst weather delay, or scariest in-flight weather you’ve ever experienced? Let us know in the comments, below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.