Watch as a Winter Storm Closes Runways and Causes Tons of Delays at Denver International Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nothing can mess up a traveler’s day like weather-related air traffic control (ATC) issues. One moment, everything looks clear, but the next thing you know, you’re delayed three hours. I happened to be at Denver International Airport (DEN) one morning this week as a freakish storm blew over the airport.
The morning started beautifully, with a radiant orange sunrise reflecting off clouds that were blowing in off the Colorado Front Range. Around 7:00AM, I took notice of how fast the clouds were moving, and how low they were to the ground, so I took out my iPhone and started filming this crazy aviation video on the Hyperlapse app. Total filming time was exactly five minutes, but the app compressed the video into 38-second long timelapse.
The brief storm brought high winds, blowing dust, and snow flurries — causing hundreds of flights to be delayed or cancelled because ATC shut down the four North-South runways at DEN. Planes were only allowed to land on the two East-West runways (into the wind), and were only departing from one. Winds were sustained over 30 miles per hour for much os the day, and gusted as high as 57MPH.
What’s the worst weather delay, or scariest in-flight weather you’ve ever experienced? Let us know in the comments, below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.