This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This one may seem obvious, but it’s extremely important to check your documents to make sure you can actually take that trip you’ve planned for months. That’s not just limited to checking if the country you’re visiting requires a visa. Some countries also have rules that won’t let you enter if your passport is expiring in less than three or six months, or if you don’t have enough blank pages in your passport. Whereas some countries may be more relaxed than others, your best bet is to make sure your passport adheres to the country’s rules before leaving home.
On your next trip, make sure to check visa and passport requirements for your destination well in advance of your travels, giving you enough time to get a new passport or source a visa, if necessary. Remember, requirements can change at any time, so stay informed. If you’re in a bind, Allied Passport could help. Mention The Points Guy on your order form to get a $5 discount just for TPG readers.
Featured image courtesy of Kritchanut via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards