Qatar Launches “Laptop Loan” Service to Counter Electronics Ban
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re almost a week into the large carry-on electronics ban, and airlines are constantly one-upping each other. First, Royal Jordanian brought the fire on social media. Emirates was the first airline to offer a service to gate-check your electronics — which we tested first-hand — and Turkish Airlines quickly followed. While unpublicized, Qatar and Etihad are providing the same service.
Yesterday, Etihad stepped up its response by launching free Wi-Fi and iPads for business and first-class passengers affected by the ban.
Now, Qatar is taking it to the next level with a new “Laptop Loan” service. Starting “next week,” business-class passengers traveling to the US will have complimentary laptops available on board for the duration of the flight. Passengers traveling in all classes will still have the option to check electronics at the gate, but business-class passengers will now be able to effectively trade their laptop for a loaner device at the gate.
Not flying in business class? Qatar will also “guarantee the comfort and productivity of all passengers” by offering all passengers one hour of free Wi-Fi or an option to buy a full-flight package for just $5.
While we’re looking forward to a more permanent solution which will allow passengers to carry-on their large electronic devices, we applaud Qatar and Etihad for taking massive strides to offer loaner devices for premium cabin passengers. We look forward to other airlines providing similar passenger-friendly solutions.
- What You Need to Know About the Electronics Ban
- The United Kingdom Now Has Its Own Cabin Electronics Ban
- 4 Tips for When You Check Your Electronic Devices
- How to Survive Long Flights with Young Kids During the Electronics Ban
- Comparing the Baggage Insurance of Premium Travel Cards
Featured image courtesy of Qatar Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees