Etihad Offers Free Wi-Fi and iPads on US-Bound Flights From Abu Dhabi
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines are still in the process of figuring out how to deal with the recently-implemented electronics ban after it was announced last week that nine carriers flying from 10 Middle Eastern and African countries directly to the US would not allow passengers to carry on electronics larger than a smartphone. Airlines started enforcing the US Government-imposed rule this Saturday at 3:00am, which forced passengers to put any larger electronics into checked bags.
Since then, we’ve seen many of the affected airlines responding to the ban over social media, touting their in-flight entertainment systems to tide over anyone who may become bored on their long-haul flights without their personal electronic devices. Etihad, one of the airlines impacted by the new ban, recently sent an email to TPG reader Jonathan Haysom detailing how it will work to make the overall flight experience better for passengers.
— Jono Haysom (@JonoH) March 28, 2017
According to Etihad’s website, the airline will be offering complimentary Wi-Fi vouchers and iPads for business and first-class travelers to use (upon request) on all of its nonstop flights from Abu Dhabi to the US — there are power and USB outlets at every seat to keep the devices charged. A post on Etihad’s Instagram account specified that these amenities will be available to passengers starting Sunday, April 2.
Other airlines, like Emirates, are allowing passengers to bring their devices past airport security and check-in, allowing them to use the electronics until they board — an Emirates agent will then pack the electronics into secure boxes and return them upon landing in the US. Emirates charges $1 for 500mb of Wi-Fi and offers the first 10mb for free — note that TPG contributor JT Genter, who recently flew from Dubai (DXB) to New York (JFK), described the Wi-Fi speeds as being “atrocious,” probably because everyone else onboard was trying to use it at the same time.
TPG contributor Katie Genter detailed her experience trying to bring electronics onto a recent Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi (ABU) to Dallas (DFW). Despite the ban being so strict, she was able to get some of her electronics through that were larger than the specified dimensions (a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader) — but she also had some taken away (a $32 portable charger).
As more details and effects from the electronics ban emerge, the affected airlines will likely develop a game plan for better accommodating customers needs, especially business travelers who tend to work on their laptops throughout the entire flight. Stay tuned to TPG for the latest updates.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees