Facebook’s Rolling out a New City Guides Feature For Its App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While the Facebook app’s latest travel-related feature, City Guides, originally launched back in December, it seems to have been rolled out to a larger number of users this week. The new tool aims to serve as a virtual tour guide, assembling information drawn from the web giant’s own data, including the places your Facebook friends have already visited as well as additional travel info that’ll help you identify popular spots to visit in each city.
“We’re testing a redesigned surface on city Pages that showcases information about your city,” a Facebook spokesperson told Tech Crunch. “This content already exists on Facebook, and during this test we’ll be centralizing it in a way that is more personalized and relevant to you. So, this new feature can help people get a better sense of their city, or a city they’re visiting through their friends’ eyes.”
Located in the app drawer, the City Guides feature shows users a list of large metropolitan cities like London and Los Angeles — smaller cities are not currently featured — which of your friends have visited them and any attractions they visited while they were there. You’ll also be able to view a list of events going on while you’re in town.
Once you click on a certain destination, the city’s profile appears, showing a list of traditionally popular attractions, as well as suggestions for things to do based on tips from friends and locals.
If you’re not seeing the new feature just yet, it may be a result of Facebook’s rolling out process — a few of us here in the office didn’t see it until this morning, so it might just take some time before you’ll have access to it.
H/T: Tech Crunch
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees