Facebook’s Rolling out a New City Guides Feature For Its App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While the Facebook app’s latest travel-related feature, City Guides, originally launched back in December, it seems to have been rolled out to a larger number of users this week. The new tool aims to serve as a virtual tour guide, assembling information drawn from the web giant’s own data, including the places your Facebook friends have already visited as well as additional travel info that’ll help you identify popular spots to visit in each city.
“We’re testing a redesigned surface on city Pages that showcases information about your city,” a Facebook spokesperson told Tech Crunch. “This content already exists on Facebook, and during this test we’ll be centralizing it in a way that is more personalized and relevant to you. So, this new feature can help people get a better sense of their city, or a city they’re visiting through their friends’ eyes.”
Located in the app drawer, the City Guides feature shows users a list of large metropolitan cities like London and Los Angeles — smaller cities are not currently featured — which of your friends have visited them and any attractions they visited while they were there. You’ll also be able to view a list of events going on while you’re in town.
Once you click on a certain destination, the city’s profile appears, showing a list of traditionally popular attractions, as well as suggestions for things to do based on tips from friends and locals.
If you’re not seeing the new feature just yet, it may be a result of Facebook’s rolling out process — a few of us here in the office didn’t see it until this morning, so it might just take some time before you’ll have access to it.
H/T: Tech Crunch
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.