This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Many travelers wouldn’t say transiting through New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) is a great experience, even on a good day. Things tend to run smoothly when the weather’s good, but when irregular operations pop up, all bets are off.
For much of this year, you’ll simply have to cross your fingers and hope for the best when flying to or from JFK, due to a major runway construction project. JFK currently has four runways, but one of them — Runway 4R/22L — will be closed for rehabilitation construction until June 1. From then through September 4, it’ll only be closed from 12:00am to 7:00am while the taxiways are being worked on, but starting September 5, the runway be closed around the clock again until November 17, assuming everything goes according to plan. If the project runs into Thanksgiving, though, that would certainly be a whole new travel nightmare.
Though JFK has three other runways to work with, strong crosswinds could temporarily reduce traffic to two or even one runway during the construction project depending on the wind direction. Storms and low clouds routinely bring arrivals and departures to a crawl at JFK, with delays often lasting longer than two hours since air traffic control puts more distance than normal between the planes as they arrive and depart. In turn, because of the increased spacing, the airport can’t accommodate as many aircraft during these periods.
Whatever happens, just remember that things could be worse — hey, at least you’re not at LaGuardia (LGA), right?
Featured image courtesy of Dennis Jarvis via Flickr.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees