This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: The Platinum Card® from American Express
Official Application Link: The Platinum Card from American Express (60,000-point bonus offer)
The new American Express Platinum Card launched today, featuring — among other perks — a new benefit of a $200 annual Uber credit, as well as Uber VIP status. Any Platinum Card holder who has their card linked to their Uber account will automatically receive the credit. Amex breaks the $200 down into 11 months (January-November) of $15 worth of credit and one month (December) of $35 worth of credit — all of which expire at the end of the respective month.
But, in order to take advantage of the $200, you have to have the card linked to your account. Note that you don’t need to use the card to pay for your ride, it just needs to be linked to your account.
Here’s how to link your Platinum Card to your account:
1. Go to your Uber app and select Payment in the options menu
2. Select the Credit or Debit Card option
3. Add in your Platinum Card information
4. Once your card information has been entered, you’ll get a notification that you’ve unlocked the benefit
5. If you go into your card account, you’ll see that the benefit is also listed there
6. And in the Payment tab, you’ll see the $15 credit, as well as the Amex Benefit listed under your Amex Card option
The entire process takes about one minute, and you’ll then be on your way to $200 in Uber credits for the entire year. In addition, it’s been confirmed that the Platinum Uber credits work toward food delivery orders with UberEats. If you don’t yet have an Uber account, you can sign up here to get your first ride for free (up to $20) from TPG.
As a reminder, the new Amex Platinum Card, which launched today, comes with a sign-up bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months. In addition to the annual $200 in Uber credit, you’ll also earn 5x on hotels booked through amextravel.com, you’ll get a new metal card and complimentary Gold cards, in addition to all of the existing card benefits, such as 5x on airfare when booked directly with the airline and $200 in annual airfare credits. The card now comes with a $550 annual fee.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees