This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Residents of several West Coast cities can pick up some very cheap airfares to Copenhagen (CPH) today, and you won’t even have to fly on the usual low-cost carrier suspects. In fact, we’re currently seeing prices as low as $379 round-trip from Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and even San Jose (SJC) on major carriers such as Air Canada, Lufthansa, Swiss and United.
Most of this availability is in the fall months of September, October and November with midweek or Saturday departures, but there’s also some dates in December and even January 2018. In most cases there’s a 7-night stay requirement but you don’t need any tricks to get these airfares, so just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself.
Unlike many other deals to Europe that involve travel on airlines with lots of extra fees after you buy your ticket, this sale is entirely on Star Alliance carriers, which means a free checked bag and even a free meal since you’ll be traveling internationally. And if Copenhagen isn’t your final destination of choice, it’s fairly easy to find cheap flights to jump from Denmark to the rest of Europe.
Airlines: Air Canada, Lufthansa, Swiss and United
Routes: LAX/SFO/SJC to CPH
Cost: $379+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2017-January 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Copenhagen (CPH) on Air Canada for $379 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Copenhagen (CPH) on Air Canada for $379 round-trip:
San Jose (SJC) to Copenhagen (CPH) on United/Air Canada for $394 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Copenhagen (CPH) on SWISS for $406 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Copenhagen (CPH) on Lufthansa for $411 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: Loyalty Traveler
Featured image of the Nyhavn pier in Copenhagen courtesy of Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees