WOW Air Eliminates Free Carry-On Bag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/3/17: This post has been updated to include clarification from WOW that flights purchased before this change will include the former carry-on allowance.
If you’ve managed to snag one of WOW Air’s rock-bottom fares to Iceland (or beyond), prepare yourself to shell out some more cash when it comes time to fly. The airline has eliminated the free carry-on bag previously included for customers. You used to be able to bring one bag with dimensions of 16.5 x 12.5 x 10 inches and a maximum weight of 22 pounds and one personal item (16.5 x 8 x 8 inches with no weight limit). Now, however, you’re only allowed to bring one personal item on board for free.
WOW has been making waves in the industry lately by offering $99 one-way flights to Europe. But on board you can expect no-frills service and to pay for just about everything. Baggage — as well as things like selecting your seat or in-flight food and beverages (yes, even water) — will cost you.
The new policy states that a carry-on bag sized at 22 x 18 x 10 in, including wheels and handles will set you back at least $41 each way (or $51 for long haul flights). If you want to bring more luggage beyond the one complimentary personal item and one paid carry-on, you’ll have to check each piece and pay $51 – $71 per bag each way.
The good news is WOW has clarified to us that the new policy will not apply to bookings made prior to this change. However, this is a disappointing move from the carrier, as it makes it much harder to take full advantage of the super-cheap fares WOW’s been selling. The airline also recently introduced new bundled fares, which may be less expensive than buying a cheap ticket and adding on a carry-on. It’s also shared plans to roll out ‘Big Seats’ (more like premium economy than regular coach) on its fleet of A330s starting on June 1, 2017.
H/T: Travel Codex
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*