WOW Air Eliminates Free Carry-On Bag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/3/17: This post has been updated to include clarification from WOW that flights purchased before this change will include the former carry-on allowance.
If you’ve managed to snag one of WOW Air’s rock-bottom fares to Iceland (or beyond), prepare yourself to shell out some more cash when it comes time to fly. The airline has eliminated the free carry-on bag previously included for customers. You used to be able to bring one bag with dimensions of 16.5 x 12.5 x 10 inches and a maximum weight of 22 pounds and one personal item (16.5 x 8 x 8 inches with no weight limit). Now, however, you’re only allowed to bring one personal item on board for free.
WOW has been making waves in the industry lately by offering $99 one-way flights to Europe. But on board you can expect no-frills service and to pay for just about everything. Baggage — as well as things like selecting your seat or in-flight food and beverages (yes, even water) — will cost you.
The new policy states that a carry-on bag sized at 22 x 18 x 10 in, including wheels and handles will set you back at least $41 each way (or $51 for long haul flights). If you want to bring more luggage beyond the one complimentary personal item and one paid carry-on, you’ll have to check each piece and pay $51 – $71 per bag each way.
The good news is WOW has clarified to us that the new policy will not apply to bookings made prior to this change. However, this is a disappointing move from the carrier, as it makes it much harder to take full advantage of the super-cheap fares WOW’s been selling. The airline also recently introduced new bundled fares, which may be less expensive than buying a cheap ticket and adding on a carry-on. It’s also shared plans to roll out ‘Big Seats’ (more like premium economy than regular coach) on its fleet of A330s starting on June 1, 2017.
H/T: Travel Codex
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees