WOW Air Eliminates Free Carry-On Bag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/3/17: This post has been updated to include clarification from WOW that flights purchased before this change will include the former carry-on allowance.
If you’ve managed to snag one of WOW Air’s rock-bottom fares to Iceland (or beyond), prepare yourself to shell out some more cash when it comes time to fly. The airline has eliminated the free carry-on bag previously included for customers. You used to be able to bring one bag with dimensions of 16.5 x 12.5 x 10 inches and a maximum weight of 22 pounds and one personal item (16.5 x 8 x 8 inches with no weight limit). Now, however, you’re only allowed to bring one personal item on board for free.
WOW has been making waves in the industry lately by offering $99 one-way flights to Europe. But on board you can expect no-frills service and to pay for just about everything. Baggage — as well as things like selecting your seat or in-flight food and beverages (yes, even water) — will cost you.
The new policy states that a carry-on bag sized at 22 x 18 x 10 in, including wheels and handles will set you back at least $41 each way (or $51 for long haul flights). If you want to bring more luggage beyond the one complimentary personal item and one paid carry-on, you’ll have to check each piece and pay $51 – $71 per bag each way.
The good news is WOW has clarified to us that the new policy will not apply to bookings made prior to this change. However, this is a disappointing move from the carrier, as it makes it much harder to take full advantage of the super-cheap fares WOW’s been selling. The airline also recently introduced new bundled fares, which may be less expensive than buying a cheap ticket and adding on a carry-on. It’s also shared plans to roll out ‘Big Seats’ (more like premium economy than regular coach) on its fleet of A330s starting on June 1, 2017.
H/T: Travel Codex
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees