WOW Air Eliminates Free Carry-On Bag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/3/17: This post has been updated to include clarification from WOW that flights purchased before this change will include the former carry-on allowance.
If you’ve managed to snag one of WOW Air’s rock-bottom fares to Iceland (or beyond), prepare yourself to shell out some more cash when it comes time to fly. The airline has eliminated the free carry-on bag previously included for customers. You used to be able to bring one bag with dimensions of 16.5 x 12.5 x 10 inches and a maximum weight of 22 pounds and one personal item (16.5 x 8 x 8 inches with no weight limit). Now, however, you’re only allowed to bring one personal item on board for free.
WOW has been making waves in the industry lately by offering $99 one-way flights to Europe. But on board you can expect no-frills service and to pay for just about everything. Baggage — as well as things like selecting your seat or in-flight food and beverages (yes, even water) — will cost you.
The new policy states that a carry-on bag sized at 22 x 18 x 10 in, including wheels and handles will set you back at least $41 each way (or $51 for long haul flights). If you want to bring more luggage beyond the one complimentary personal item and one paid carry-on, you’ll have to check each piece and pay $51 – $71 per bag each way.
The good news is WOW has clarified to us that the new policy will not apply to bookings made prior to this change. However, this is a disappointing move from the carrier, as it makes it much harder to take full advantage of the super-cheap fares WOW’s been selling. The airline also recently introduced new bundled fares, which may be less expensive than buying a cheap ticket and adding on a carry-on. It’s also shared plans to roll out ‘Big Seats’ (more like premium economy than regular coach) on its fleet of A330s starting on June 1, 2017.
H/T: Travel Codex
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.