This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the best parts of air travel is when you finally reach a certain point and the food and beverage service begins — there’s nothing quite like taking a sip of your favorite drink, turning on a movie and settling in for the rest of your flight. While I may be partial to a glass of red, beer is an undeniably popular choice as well, so if you’re looking to kick back on your flight with a cold brew, which airline would be the best place to do it? The writers at Vinepair decided to find out.
The big winner? According to Vinepair, the best beer selection for all cabins goes to Virgin America. While the carrier serves classics like Heineken and Bud Light, it also offers several craft beers, including 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die IPA, 21st Amendment Sneak Attack and Anchor Steam. On top of that, Virgin America has a pretty amazing snack list, including jerky sausage, vanilla bean popcorn, kettle chips and salted brownies.
Delta came in second place because its full selection of beer is often unavailable on flights — it turns out the Sweetwater that’s advertised rarely makes an onboard appearance — while JetBlue, which offers Brooklyn Brewery and Harpoon selections, came in third, followed by Alaska Airlines and United, in fourth and fifth, respectively.
To be worthy of having the best beer list in the skies, the airline needed to have more than just a great selection — it needed to offer its classy brews to passengers in both premium and coach classes. Airlines are often judged against each other only by their premium-cabin service, but most people are traveling in economy, which means service in the back — especially alcoholic offerings — is pretty important as well.
Which airline do you think has the best beer selection? Sound off, below.
Featured image courtesy of Jack Andersen via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees