Alaska Airlines and Virgin America to Add 13 New Routes From the Bay Area
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today, Virgin America and Alaska Airlines shared the details of a slew of new routes from both San Francisco (SFO) and San Jose (SJC). Virgin will be adding seven new routes from SFO, while Alaska will add three from SFO and three from SJC.
The 13 new routes from the Bay Area expand the soon-to-be combined carriers’ reach to the middle of the country and to the East Coast. In addition, the carrier will add new service to Hawaii, Los Angeles and a proposed route to Mexico City, pending government approval.
Here’s the full list of additions:
- Virgin America
- San Francisco (SFO) ⇒ Philadelphia (PHL) — beginning September 31
- SFO ⇒ Nashville (BNA) — beginning September 5
- SFO ⇒ New Orleans (MSY) — beginning September 21
- SFO ⇒ Indianapolis (IND) — beginning September 26
- SFO ⇒ Baltimore (BWI) — beginning October 16
- SFO ⇒ Raleigh-Durham (RDU) — beginning October 19
- SFO ⇒ Kona (KOA) — beginning December 14
- Alaska Airlines
- San Jose (SJC) ⇒ Austin (AUS) — beginning August 28
- SJC ⇒ Tucson (TUS) — beginning August 28
- SJC ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) — beginning September 20
- San Francisco (SFO) ⇒ Albuquerque (ABQ) — beginning September 18
- SFO ⇒ Kansas City (MCI) — beginning September 18
- SFO ⇒ Mexico City (MEX) — beginning summer 2017
The new routes further bolster Virgin and Alaska’s presence in the Bay Area. With the new routes, the two will offer a total of 125 daily nonstop flights to 42 destinations from the three major Bay Area airports (OAK, SFO and SJC).
An interesting note is that Alaska Airlines’ release didn’t detail that the Virgin America flights would be operated by VX. Instead, it only specified the aircraft type (A320) that will operate the routes — possibly giving us an indication on what direction Alaska plans to take the Virgin brand.
Executives have been relatively quiet since the close of the merger as to what the future of the Virgin brand will look like. With the exception of some loyalty program news, there’s still no word on what the future of the brand will look like. But, generally speaking, it’s good news for travelers that Virgin and Alaska are continuing to expand its combined route network.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees