Leaked Details of New Alaska Elite Benefits When Flying Virgin America
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 3/6/2017: Alaska Airlines has officially released its calendar for the rollout of elite benefits on Virgin America, confirming our original story.
The webpage also confirms that those who use their Mileage Plan number on Virgin America flights can count those Virgin segments and miles towards their 2018 Mileage Plan elite status qualification. The same goes for Virgin flights, those who use their Elevate number on Virgin flights will have their miles and segments added toward their 2018 Mileage Plan elite status qualification.
Although the merger between Alaska Airlines and Virgin America closed in December, there’s still a lot of work to be done combining the two airlines — particularly when it comes to elite benefits. When the merger closed, reciprocal priority check-in and priority boarding benefits were implemented almost immediately, but no other reciprocal elite benefits have been added or announced in the nearly three months since.
Thankfully, this aspect of the merger is taking a step forward soon, according to a leak we received. On Monday March 6, Alaska Airlines will announce new benefits for Mileage Plan elites when flying on Virgin America.
Here are some of the details that will be announced tomorrow:
Coming Spring 2017:
- 2 free checked bags
Coming Late Summer 2017:
- Complimentary access to preferred Main Cabin seating
- Eligibility for Main Cabin select upgrades
- An advance purchase window to buy first-class upgrades
As if it needed clarification, Alaska’s announcement notes that:
At this point, AS and VX elite member experiences will differ depending on the operating carrier of their flight. For example, an AS elite flying on Alaska Airlines currently receives a complimentary Premium Class upgrade if available. However, if that same elite is flying on Virgin America, they do not qualify to receive a complimentary Main Cabin Select seat (VX’s Premium Class equivalent).
Currently, the only benefits that Alaska elites (Gold 75K, Gold and MVP) enjoy while flying Virgin are priority check-in and priority boarding. So, these additional benefits are great news for Alaska Mileage Plan members. Once all of these announced changes are implemented later this year, it seems that priority security will be the only benefit that Virgin America elites have over comparable Alaska elites — aside from a third bag for top-tier Alaska Gold 75Ks.
This leaked announcement covers only additional benefits that Alaska elites will get when flying on Virgin America. It’s unclear when reciprocal benefits will be added for Virgin America elites flying Alaska. Currently, Virgin America elites earn bonus miles, get priority check-in, priority boarding and have the opportunity to purchase a first-class upgrade when flying on Alaska.
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees