Watch What Happens When a Busload of Tourists Shows up at the Oscars
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chances are, the 89th annual Academy Awards will be remembered by most people because of the way it ended — with a major flub in which La La Land was mistakenly given the award for Best Picture, while a minute later, Moonlight was officially announced as the real Oscar-winning film.
But it certainly wasn’t the only memorable moment of this year’s show. About halfway through, host Jimmy Kimmel pulled off an epic prank on a group of Los Angeles tourists who believed they were just regular guests of a Starline bus tour in Hollywood. Little did they know, the bus was on its way to the Dolby Theatre, where the Academy Awards were being held that night. The group of tourists were then led off the bus, under the impression that they were about to visit a special exhibit.
What happened next can only be described as the shock of a lifetime, with each of them entering the room — while snapping photos on their iPhones, of course — only to realize it’s full of glamorous movie stars. And that they’re suddenly part of the Oscars. And that it’s all happening live on television.
While most of the folks appear to be in a state of shock, some continued to take photos as others eventually stopped to shake hands and hug some of the celebrities sitting in the front row. The stars seemed to be getting a huge kick out of Kimmel’s prank, too, taking their own photos and videos of the surprise visitors and casually chatting with folks as they passed by.
— Keith Urban (@KeithUrban) February 27, 2017
Denzel Washington even ends up “marrying” one of the couples who said they’d recently gotten engaged, while Jennifer Aniston offers up her own sunglasses to them as a wedding gift. Watch the hilarity ensue in the video, below — the Denzel wedding scene set-up starts at 3:22:
Featured Image courtesy of Kevin Winter via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.