This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There seems to be an interesting trend lately where people are getting married in fascinating ways — or in unusual places. First, there was this couple, who recently got hitched during a flight and had their wedding reception in the Delta Sky Lounge at DCA. Then, we heard about the “Marry Me on a Megabus” sweepstakes, where couples can enter to win a free wedding on an actual Megabus — the grand prize also comes with two round-trip bus tickets and $2,500 to use for the honeymoon.
All these wacky wedding ideas got us thinking about other unusual places around the world people have gotten married in. We did some digging and eventually found out that when it comes to wedding locations, the sky’s the limit — literally. Here are six of the strangest places and ways to get married we’ve heard of so far.
1. Under the Sea
For couples who have had this “I do” idea, it must’ve been a nice day for a
white wet wedding. Underwater weddings come in a variety of packages from aquariums surrounded by sharks and manta rays to actual shark cages as well as atop deep sea shipwrecks. Popular options are located just off the coast of Cancun, Mexico; Fort Lauderdale, Florida; and Nassau, Bahamas, just to name a few.
2. At the Grand Canyon
This couple must’ve been searching for the perfect Instagram pic as they were wedded in one of the most heavily photographed places in the US, the Grand Canyon. Adventurous couples have gotten married on both the North and South Rims as well as deep within the canyon, so it’s all up to you to make it your own.
3. Inside Dracula’s Castle
Some couples want their wedding to be a bit more… dramatic. Vlad the Impaler, the medieval prince who inspired Bram Stoker’s infamous creature of the night, once called Bran Castle in Transylvania home, a location that can apparently be rented out for private events, including — you guessed it — weddings. Just don’t drink too much when you’re celebrating as there are no working bathrooms in Dracula’s Castle — don’t say we didn’t warn you!
4. At the Top of Mount Everest
Talk about taking your love to new heights. Back in 2005, one Nepalese couple not only reached the summit of Mount Everest but exchanged their vows there as well, in what is believed to be the first wedding to ever take place on the world’s highest peak.
5. In Scotland — Just Before Bungee Jumping
This couple’s nuptials brought new meaning to the term, “taking the plunge.” After exchanging vows on a bungee jump platform, Ross Basham and Hannah Phillips made the daring tandem-jump, falling 140 feet together in all their wedding attire glory — quite the way to dive straight into married life.
6. In Space (Well, Almost)
Is your love out of this world? For at least one couple who signed up for Virgin Galactic’s first passenger flight so they could be married by Richard Branson among the stars, it definitely was, although it’s something we’re betting is on hold until more test flights can be carried out later this year. Until then, if you’re interested in a space-like wedding, take a ride on the Zero Gravity Corporation’s Zero G, a plane that conducts parabolic maneuvers, creating a weightless environment for you to flip, fly, and say “I do” in.
Have you gotten married in an unusual way or been invited to attend an out-of-the-norm wedding? Tell us about it, below.
Featured image courtesy of Jorge Guerrero via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees