A Record 3.7 Billion Passengers Took to the Skies in 2016
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There were many travel records set in 2016, from the most Americans traveling abroad (66,960,943) to the most passengers screened by the TSA (738 million). There was even a record set for the number of guns caught in carry-on bags (3,391). Not surprisingly, there’s yet another travel record set in 2016: the most air passengers globally.
Yesterday, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) reported that a “record 3.7 billion passengers flew safely to their destination” in 2016. While there’s an estimated 7.4 billion people living in the world, this doesn’t mean that half of the global population flew during 2016. Unfortunately, IATA hasn’t released stats about how many unique passengers took to the skies in 2016 globally. The record is 3.7 billion passenger trips — of which The Points Guy himself accounted for 151 and TPG Editor-In-Chief Zach Honig chipped in 95. We hope we helped each TPG reader add dozens of flights to this total!
Globally, there was a 6.3% growth in miles flown by (revenue) passengers, but the growth wasn’t limited to just a few regions. All IATA regions experienced growth during 2016. Surprisingly, North America had the slowest growth (3.2%) followed by Latin America (3.6%). Meanwhile, the Middle East retained its spot as the fastest-growing region for the fifth year in a row, recording an impressive growth of 11.2%. Asia Pacific also continued to grow exponentially, with a 9.2% growth over 2015.
To help fuel all of this growth, global carriers established 700 new routes in 2016, and global airfares dropped an average of $44 per round-trip. Although airlines grew capacity by 6.2%, demand rose faster than supply again in 2016. So, yet another record was set: flights were a record-high 80.5% full. However, if you flew one of the five major US carriers, your flights were likely even fuller than that.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
How many flights did you take in 2016?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees