This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no doubt that China’s airline industry is growing. In 2015, three mainland Chinese airports were in the top 20 busiest airports in the world. Along the way, there have been growing pains. Long tarmac delays, flight cancellations and unruly passengers have seemingly become the norm. Reports show just an 68.87% on-time record for Chinese flights in July 2016 — which sounds bad until you read that this is a massive 12.88-point improvement over the previous July.
Boeing doesn’t see any slowdown in the near future. According to a report that surfaced yesterday, Boeing expects Chinese airlines to purchase $1.025 trillion in planes over the next 20 years. Of the estimated 6,810 aircraft purchases, three quarters are expected to be single-aisle aircraft designed for regional flights.
Over the same 20 years, Boeing expects Chinese passenger traffic to grow about 6.4% annually. While that might not seem like much growth, consider that the worldwide passenger growth forecast is just 3.8% annually over the same period. Without the strong growth in China — which is expected to surpass the US in passenger traffic during this time — the worldwide growth would be tamped down even more.
What does this mean for you? Pack some extra patience when flying to or through Chinese airports. While on-time percentages have been improving, the consistent growth in passengers is going to test an already strained system. Plan for delays and long lines, and make sure not to schedule tight layovers.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.