Qantas to Offer Netflix, Spotify and Foxtel Streaming on Wi-Fi-Equipped Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Australian carrier just announced that as of later this month, the first set of Wi-Fi-enabled domestic flights will offer the ability to stream content from Foxtel (an Australian cable TV and digital provider), Netflix and Spotify. The good news doesn’t stop there, though, as Qantas has teamed up with the three paid subscription services to offer travelers free trials. Here’s how each of the three breaks down:
- Foxtel: Three days of free access to the Foxtel app every time you fly
- Netflix: Free 30-day trial to the entire Netflix service (must sign-up to a subscription for the free trial)
- Spotify: Free 30-day trial of its Premium service (must sign-up to a subscription for the free trial)
Travelers will be able to stream the content from the three new partners directly to their personal devices. The carrier uses the nbn Sky Muster satellite service, which it says is up to 10 times faster than conventional in-flight Wi-Fi. In November of last year, the carrier also installed ViaSat equipment on its first 737, which it will soon begin offering to customers.
If you’re flying on a domestic Australian flight on Qantas later this month and throughout the rest of this year, you can take advantage of these new partnerships pretty easily — simply log in to the Qantas in-flight Wi-Fi on your device and click the links to your preference of Netflix, Foxtel or Spotify. From there, you can log in to your accounts or take advantage of a free trial.
If you’re already a Netflix subscriber, remember that Netflix changed the game last year when it announced that users could download their content in advance to watch at a later date. That new perk allows subscribers all over the world to get what they want to watch on their devices before having to switch to airplane mode — a definite win for frequent travelers.
This is a nice addition from Qantas, which is giving flyers one more way to enjoy their flight. In addition, the carrier said that that although the streaming options will be available only for domestic flights on launch, it’s looking to expand the streaming and Wi-Fi capabilities to its international flights at some point.
Featured image courtesy of Scott Barbour via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees