Qantas Becomes Latest Airline to Announce Free ViaSat Wi-Fi
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In-flight Wi-Fi has come a long way, but there’s still room to improve. As the available products continue to advance, more and more airlines are installing the newest and fastest technology to provide a better experience for passengers — and in many of the most recent cases of airlines offering high-speed in-flight Wi-Fi, one name has come up a lot: ViaSat.
On Tuesday, Qantas became the latest carrier to announce its plans to offer free in-flight Wi-Fi to passengers in partnership with ViaSat — the same company American Airlines threatened to leave Gogo for. The carrier announced that it would use the provider’s Ka-band satellite technology, which is significantly faster than alternative connectivity, making it possible for passengers to not only check their email but also stream HD video during a flight.
The carrier will launch a trial service this year on a Boeing 737 and expects to roll it out to its entire domestic fleet of A330s and Boeing 737s in early 2017. The ViaSat service on Qantas will offer speeds that are comparable to those you’re used to experiencing on the ground — and without a usage fee, to boot.
ViaSat is already the in-flight Wi-Fi provider for JetBlue (which also offers in-flight Wi-Fi for free), Virgin America and select United flights (operated by ex-Continental 737s). Qantas is also looking to add Wi-Fi on its international fleet but nothing has been announced yet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees