Qantas Becomes Latest Airline to Announce Free ViaSat Wi-Fi
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In-flight Wi-Fi has come a long way, but there’s still room to improve. As the available products continue to advance, more and more airlines are installing the newest and fastest technology to provide a better experience for passengers — and in many of the most recent cases of airlines offering high-speed in-flight Wi-Fi, one name has come up a lot: ViaSat.
On Tuesday, Qantas became the latest carrier to announce its plans to offer free in-flight Wi-Fi to passengers in partnership with ViaSat — the same company American Airlines threatened to leave Gogo for. The carrier announced that it would use the provider’s Ka-band satellite technology, which is significantly faster than alternative connectivity, making it possible for passengers to not only check their email but also stream HD video during a flight.
The carrier will launch a trial service this year on a Boeing 737 and expects to roll it out to its entire domestic fleet of A330s and Boeing 737s in early 2017. The ViaSat service on Qantas will offer speeds that are comparable to those you’re used to experiencing on the ground — and without a usage fee, to boot.
ViaSat is already the in-flight Wi-Fi provider for JetBlue (which also offers in-flight Wi-Fi for free), Virgin America and select United flights (operated by ex-Continental 737s). Qantas is also looking to add Wi-Fi on its international fleet but nothing has been announced yet.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.