This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas recently unveiled new livery on an aircraft dubbed the “Rainbow Roo” as a way to show support for the LGBT community, painting its name in rainbow colors and showing its signature flying kangaroo holding a rainbow-colored flag. The tagline underneath the plane’s colorful new logo also reads, “Official airline partner of Sydney Mardi Gras,” a two-week long gay pride celebration that takes over Sydney from Friday, February 17, through Sunday, March 5. Qantas has historically been a big supporter of the LGBT community, thanks in part to the airline’s openly gay CEO, Alan Joyce.
The airline revealed the A330-300’s new paint job when it took its first flight earlier this month. According to Australian Aviation, this particular aircraft operates on Qantas’ Sydney to Melbourne route, before continuing from Melbourne to Singapore. According to an article by The Daily Telegraph, a Qantas spokeswoman said the aircraft would sport the new livery for the next few months.
This isn’t the first time a carrier has shown support for the LGBT community — last year, WOW Air registered one of its first A330 aircraft with the code name “TF-GAY.” American Airlines also had its social media photos include the rainbow flag when same-sex marriage was legalized in the US back in June of 2015.
H/T: The Daily Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Zaahid Naseer.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees