$65 Million Animal Terminal Opens at JFK, Complete With “Pet Oasis”
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York’s JFK International Airport is one of the worst in the country — for humans. But for traveling pets, it’s now home to one of the best airport experiences ever. Phase 1 of The ARK at JFK opened earlier this week, making it the world’s first privately owned, 24-hour luxury pet terminal and quarantine center.
The ARK at JFK caters to animals of all kinds — not just cats and dogs. This week’s opening includes The ARK Pet Oasis, an Equine & Livestock Export Center for horses (and other large livestock cargo animals) and an Aviary In-Transit Quarantine area just for birds. The ARK Pet Oasis can best be described as an all-animal wellness center — after all, pets need a break during their travels, too.
Highlights of the Pet Oasis include a splash pool; vaccine and micro-chipping services, US Customs clearance for pets arriving from international destinations and an on-site veterinarian available 24/7 for emergency care, evaluation and treatment of any acute medical conditions. Animal relief and grooming areas are also available to all in-transit pets. According to an article by Bloomberg, standard boarding fees will start at $125 and owners anxious about the well-being of their precious pets and cargo animals will be able to pay a little extra for photo and FaceTime updates.
A full-service equine quarantine and import/export center, as well as extensions to the aviary, are set to open in in a few months, while a full veterinary clinic, laboratory and pet boarding and grooming facility will follow later this year.
The $65 million ARK facility is a 178,000-square-foot space located in Building 78A that’s divided into three sections: one for air cargo and ground handling operations, another for the ARK and Red Bank Veterinary Hospital’s administrative offices and a third that’s home to the ARK Pet Oasis.
This looks like a pretty neat option for pet owners and their in-transit animals in need of a break from the stress that goes along with traveling. Let us know what you think in the comments section, below.
Images courtesy of The ARK at JFK/AnthonyCollins.nyc.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.