$65 Million Animal Terminal Opens at JFK, Complete With “Pet Oasis”
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York’s JFK International Airport is one of the worst in the country — for humans. But for traveling pets, it’s now home to one of the best airport experiences ever. Phase 1 of The ARK at JFK opened earlier this week, making it the world’s first privately owned, 24-hour luxury pet terminal and quarantine center.
The ARK at JFK caters to animals of all kinds — not just cats and dogs. This week’s opening includes The ARK Pet Oasis, an Equine & Livestock Export Center for horses (and other large livestock cargo animals) and an Aviary In-Transit Quarantine area just for birds. The ARK Pet Oasis can best be described as an all-animal wellness center — after all, pets need a break during their travels, too.
Highlights of the Pet Oasis include a splash pool; vaccine and micro-chipping services, US Customs clearance for pets arriving from international destinations and an on-site veterinarian available 24/7 for emergency care, evaluation and treatment of any acute medical conditions. Animal relief and grooming areas are also available to all in-transit pets. According to an article by Bloomberg, standard boarding fees will start at $125 and owners anxious about the well-being of their precious pets and cargo animals will be able to pay a little extra for photo and FaceTime updates.
A full-service equine quarantine and import/export center, as well as extensions to the aviary, are set to open in in a few months, while a full veterinary clinic, laboratory and pet boarding and grooming facility will follow later this year.
The $65 million ARK facility is a 178,000-square-foot space located in Building 78A that’s divided into three sections: one for air cargo and ground handling operations, another for the ARK and Red Bank Veterinary Hospital’s administrative offices and a third that’s home to the ARK Pet Oasis.
This looks like a pretty neat option for pet owners and their in-transit animals in need of a break from the stress that goes along with traveling. Let us know what you think in the comments section, below.
Images courtesy of The ARK at JFK/AnthonyCollins.nyc.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees