Excellent Business Class Award Space Open to Taiwan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to burn miles for a premium cabin from the US to Asia, now’s a great time to book as there are currently plenty of business seats available on both EVA Air (Star Alliance) and China Airlines (SkyTeam) to Taipei, Taiwan (TPE).
You can easily find the China Airlines space by searching with Delta’s award calendar. China Airlines flies nonstop from San Francisco (SFO) and there are four business award seats open on many dates right now.
Return space from Taipei back to San Francisco is also excellent for four business class passengers…
You’ll pay 80,000 Delta SkyMiles each way per passenger in business class to and from Asia, but you should be able to tack on a domestic leg to San Francisco for no additional miles if you can find the domestic low-level award space. Unfortunately that might be easier said than done depending on where you’re originating, but if you can’t find the extra space, you could also just buy a separate cheap positioning flight with cash or miles to get to and from San Francisco. You might also consider booking this award with Air France Flying Blue for 100,000 miles each way or Korean Air SkyPass miles at a price of 155,000 miles round-trip.
China Airlines flies a brand new A350-900 XWB on its San Francisco-Taipei route, an aircraft it just took delivery of this past September. The airline’s 777-300ER have gotten great reviews and business class on the A350 looks very similar.
Over in the Star Alliance, there’s a decent amount of business class space on EVA Air from multiple US cities, including New York (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), Chicago (ORD) and others. As an example, here’s award space from Houston (IAH) to Taipei in May and June for two passengers (dotted lines on the calendar indicate premium class space, though note not all of this space is nonstop on Eva Air)…
And here’s a sample return from Taipei to New York (JFK), again for two passengers…
EVA Air flights to Asia can be booked via Star Alliance partners such as United MileagePlus for 80,000 miles each way, or Air Canada’s Aeroplan for 75,000 miles each way. Either option has minimal fuel surcharges.
Even if Taiwan isn’t your preferred destination in Asia, it’s an easy jump from Taipei to Hong Kong, which is a little more than 90 minutes away. While Tokyo would be a pretty substantial backtrack, you could make it to Shanghai in just two hours or fly further west to Bangkok in less than four.
Featured image courtesy of nicholashan via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.