Obamas Continue Vacation on Richard Branson’s Private Island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama left the golf courses of Palm Springs behind and headed for the sunny islands of the Caribbean on board Sir Richard Branson’s private jet. As part of their post-White House vacation, the couple is staying on Necker Island, a luxury paradise that’s privately owned by Branson — mere mortals can rent out the 74-acre British Virgin Islands oasis starting at $80,000 per night with enough space for up to 34 guests.
The good news — especially for those of us unable to fork over $560,000 for the week — is there’s a way around the high price tag: using points to make a seven-night reservation for two in a Great House Room during one of Necker Island’s Celebration Weeks, special times of the year when you’re allowed to stay in just one villa instead of being required to reserve the entire island.
You can use points from all three Virgin-branded airlines (Virgin Atlantic, Virgin America and Virgin Australia) but redeeming them this way still comes with a hefty price tag, since your seven-night stay likely begins around 1.2 million Virgin Atlantic points. It’s also important to note that this offer is only available for Flying Club Silver and Gold members. Fortunately, there’s some relief there: You may be able to bypass the regular requirements for Silver status by completing a challenge with Virgin Atlantic — email Customer.Relations.UK@fly.virgin.com for more details.
H/T: The Telegraph
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.