This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama left the golf courses of Palm Springs behind and headed for the sunny islands of the Caribbean on board Sir Richard Branson’s private jet. As part of their post-White House vacation, the couple is staying on Necker Island, a luxury paradise that’s privately owned by Branson — mere mortals can rent out the 74-acre British Virgin Islands oasis starting at $80,000 per night with enough space for up to 34 guests.
The good news — especially for those of us unable to fork over $560,000 for the week — is there’s a way around the high price tag: using points to make a seven-night reservation for two in a Great House Room during one of Necker Island’s Celebration Weeks, special times of the year when you’re allowed to stay in just one villa instead of being required to reserve the entire island.
You can use points from all three Virgin-branded airlines (Virgin Atlantic, Virgin America and Virgin Australia) but redeeming them this way still comes with a hefty price tag, since your seven-night stay likely begins around 1.2 million Virgin Atlantic points. It’s also important to note that this offer is only available for Flying Club Silver and Gold members. Fortunately, there’s some relief there: You may be able to bypass the regular requirements for Silver status by completing a challenge with Virgin Atlantic — email Customer.Relations.UK@fly.virgin.com for more details.
H/T: The Telegraph
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards