Obamas Continue Vacation on Richard Branson’s Private Island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama left the golf courses of Palm Springs behind and headed for the sunny islands of the Caribbean on board Sir Richard Branson’s private jet. As part of their post-White House vacation, the couple is staying on Necker Island, a luxury paradise that’s privately owned by Branson — mere mortals can rent out the 74-acre British Virgin Islands oasis starting at $80,000 per night with enough space for up to 34 guests.
The good news — especially for those of us unable to fork over $560,000 for the week — is there’s a way around the high price tag: using points to make a seven-night reservation for two in a Great House Room during one of Necker Island’s Celebration Weeks, special times of the year when you’re allowed to stay in just one villa instead of being required to reserve the entire island.
You can use points from all three Virgin-branded airlines (Virgin Atlantic, Virgin America and Virgin Australia) but redeeming them this way still comes with a hefty price tag, since your seven-night stay likely begins around 1.2 million Virgin Atlantic points. It’s also important to note that this offer is only available for Flying Club Silver and Gold members. Fortunately, there’s some relief there: You may be able to bypass the regular requirements for Silver status by completing a challenge with Virgin Atlantic — email Customer.Relations.UK@fly.virgin.com for more details.
H/T: The Telegraph
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.