This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: The Platinum Card® from American Express
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Tel Aviv is typically an expensive destination to travel to whether you’re using miles or paying in cash. However, several airlines are offering discounted fares to the beachfront city starting at just $480 round-trip. Fares are available on select dates from February through March 2017 from New York (JFK), Washington, D.C. (IAD), Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX). Both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem (a short drive from the airport) are worth visiting during the winter months, with mild temperatures and fewer tourists.
Airline(s): Air Canada, Azerbaijan Airlines, Turkish Airlines
Route(s): JFK, DCA, LAX, MIA to TLV
Cost: From $480 round-trip in economy
Dates: February through March 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here’s an example of what you can book:
New York (JFK) – Tel Aviv (TLV) for $480 round-trip on Azerbaijan Airlines:
Washington D.C. (IAD) – Tel Aviv (TLV) for $619 round-trip on Turkish Airlines:
Miami (MIA) – Tel Aviv (TLV) for $665 round-trip on Air Canada:
Los Angeles (LAX) – Tel Aviv (TLV) for $665 round-trip on Air Canada:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of Tel Aviv courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards