Bid Miles for Two Seats on United’s 777-300ER Polaris Preview Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two weeks from today, on Monday, February 13, United will operate its very first flight with the brand-new 777-300ER. It’s a charter, so you can’t purchase tickets directly, unfortunately, but the airline is giving two lucky MileagePlus members a chance to join — in Polaris business class, no less.
The new plane has 60 business-class seats in a modified 1-2-1 configuration, but while there will normally be plenty to go around (thank goodness, considering the super-dense 3-4-3 coach), this particular flight will carry a handful of airline employees and journalists — including myself and TPG! These passengers will be seated in one of two Polaris business-class cabins — that makes this is a very hot ticket, so the airline’s letting customers bid for these seats in a MileagePlus auction (link here).
Winners will receive:
- Two tickets to experience United Polaris business class on United’s first Boeing 777-300ER aircraft
- Depart Chicago O’Hare on Monday, February 13, 2017 at 3:00pm central time
- One night hotel stay in San Francisco (double occupancy)
- Check in: Monday, February 13, 2017
- Check out: Tuesday, February 14, 2017
- United Economy domestic airfare for two to Chicago O’Hare on Monday, February 13, 2017
- United Economy domestic airfare for two from San Francisco on Tuesday, February 14, 2017
There are a few limitations to keep in mind as well:
- United Polaris business class flight is only from Chicago O’Hare to San Francisco on Monday, February 13, 2017
- No checked bags permitted. Carry-on bags only.
- MileagePlus members will not receive miles or Premier qualifying credits for this experience.
- Only MileagePlus members age 21 and older are eligible to bid on and/or win this auction item. Bids from ineligible members will be disqualified. Potential auction winner will be subject to age verification before being confirmed as the winner.
The auction runs through 9:00am CT on Monday, February 6 — the starting bid appears to be 100,000 miles, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see this climb into the seven figures given how much excitement there seems to be around this rollout. If you aren’t lucky enough to win, you’ll still be able to join us on board via Facebook Live. Stay tuned for more content on the site as well, along with TPG’s Instagram and Twitter accounts (and my own Instagram and Twitter) beginning early afternoon on February 13.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.