This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two weeks from today, on Monday, February 13, United will operate its very first flight with the brand-new 777-300ER. It’s a charter, so you can’t purchase tickets directly, unfortunately, but the airline is giving two lucky MileagePlus members a chance to join — in Polaris business class, no less.
The new plane has 60 business-class seats in a modified 1-2-1 configuration, but while there will normally be plenty to go around (thank goodness, considering the super-dense 3-4-3 coach), this particular flight will carry a handful of airline employees and journalists — including myself and TPG! These passengers will be seated in one of two Polaris business-class cabins — that makes this is a very hot ticket, so the airline’s letting customers bid for these seats in a MileagePlus auction (link here).
Winners will receive:
- Two tickets to experience United Polaris business class on United’s first Boeing 777-300ER aircraft
- Depart Chicago O’Hare on Monday, February 13, 2017 at 3:00pm central time
- One night hotel stay in San Francisco (double occupancy)
- Check in: Monday, February 13, 2017
- Check out: Tuesday, February 14, 2017
- United Economy domestic airfare for two to Chicago O’Hare on Monday, February 13, 2017
- United Economy domestic airfare for two from San Francisco on Tuesday, February 14, 2017
There are a few limitations to keep in mind as well:
- United Polaris business class flight is only from Chicago O’Hare to San Francisco on Monday, February 13, 2017
- No checked bags permitted. Carry-on bags only.
- MileagePlus members will not receive miles or Premier qualifying credits for this experience.
- Only MileagePlus members age 21 and older are eligible to bid on and/or win this auction item. Bids from ineligible members will be disqualified. Potential auction winner will be subject to age verification before being confirmed as the winner.
The auction runs through 9:00am CT on Monday, February 6 — the starting bid appears to be 100,000 miles, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see this climb into the seven figures given how much excitement there seems to be around this rollout. If you aren’t lucky enough to win, you’ll still be able to join us on board via Facebook Live. Stay tuned for more content on the site as well, along with TPG’s Instagram and Twitter accounts (and my own Instagram and Twitter) beginning early afternoon on February 13.
The Points Guy Assessment:
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great pick for the beginner and the frequent traveler. The CSP has superb travel benefits, double points on certain purchases, and a 50,000 point sign up bonus. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year so this puts it as one of the less expensive cards, while still allowing you to earn one of the most valuable point currencies.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards