The Best Wireless Headphones and Earbuds for Every Type of Traveler
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the new, headphone jack-less iPhone 7, everyone who’s upgrading to the new device will be looking for a new wireless wearable if they haven’t already been converted to using a Bluetooth-enabled audio accessory.
While Apple does supply an adaptor that enables traditional headphones to plug into the iPhone 7, users will not be able to charge their device and listen to music at the same time, which can be a real drag.
To help you embrace the wireless lifestyle, we’ve researched a range of wearable audios for all types of travelers to help make tangled headphones a thing of the past. Here’s a look at the best options out there.
For Style-Conscious Travelers
Master & Dynamic’s MW60 Wireless Over Ear Headphones are an ultra-stylish option thanks to a body designed in a combination of premium grain leather, lambskin leather memory foam and stainless steel and aluminum components. Additional features include an above average signal range and a 16-hour rechargeable battery. There’s also a detachable 1.25m standard cable in case you do feel like being wired for a while. ($549, www.masterdynamic.com)
For Travelers That Need No Distraction
The AKG N60 NC is perfect for those who want to cancel out all the background noise while they’re on the go, which you can do thanks to AKG’s nifty active noise-canceling technology. With a 30-hour battery life, the headphones also produce a clear acoustic sound with a warm base response. The ultra-compact design and travel carrying case are a nice addition. ($249, www.harmanaudio.com)
For Eco-Friendly Travelers
With a minimalist and eco-conscious design, House of Marley Rebel BT headphones feature a regrind silicone rubber headband made of recycled materials for ultimate comfort, plus grips molded with blended materials of bio-mass and eco-plastics. You’ll get eight hours of continuous wireless play via Bluetooth technology. The Rebel BTs are available in black, grey and navy, so take your pick. ($59, www.thehouseofmarley.com)
For Travelers Who Want to Minimize Charging Time
As part of the Apple family, Beats is going to be rolling out three new wireless audio devices this fall to go with the new iPhone 7, and the first one available is the Solo3. While these can have up to 40 hours of battery life when fully charged, the device has a fast fuel feature that can grant three hours of playback after just a five-minute charge. The headphones are adjustable, while cushioned ear cups make listening more comfortable. On-ear controls and specially-designed mics make calls, music play, volume adjustment and Siri activation easy to do on the go. ($299, www.apple.com)
For Travelers Who Want Total Wireless Control
Plantronics’ BackBeat GO 3 wireless earbuds provide a total cord-free experience. Now only can users skip tracks, change the volume and answer calls, but they can also activate Siri, Google Now or Cortana without ever needing to touch the phone. Custom speakers deliver high-resolution sound, while the audio codec is said to allow for every detail of the music to be experienced. You’ll get 6.5 hours of listening time — select models also come with a charging case providing an additional boost of 13 hours. ($99, www.plantronics.com)
For Active Travelers
Designed for superior audio performance, Jaybird’s Freedom wireless earbuds have an elegant, sand-blasted, all-metal housing instead of plastic to help remove distortion. The product’s micro size and sweat-proof qualities make the style perfect for everything from running and biking to relaxing and listening to some music on the way to work. You’ll get a combined total of eight hours of usage — four hours to start, plus another four when you use the included Charging Clip — and users can customize the sound settings through the brand’s nifty MySound app. ($199, www.jaybirdsport.com)
For Techie Travelers
A truly wireless option, Bragi’s Dash appears to be a pair of earbuds from the future. Dash features touch controls for volume, skipping tracks and taking calls, while it’s sensors can track your workouts and provide live feedback of your heart rate, steps, cadence, strokes and duration, among other details, when connected to its app. You can expect a battery life of three hours — with a charging case that can allow up to five charges in a day. These earbuds are also waterproof for up to three feet, and come with 4GB of storage, enough space to hold about 1,000 songs. ($299, www.store.bragi.com)
For Travelers on a Budget
For an inexpensive pair of Bluetooth-enabled earbuds without sacrificing quality, don’t miss Skullcandy’s Method. Featuring a sweat-resistant, around-the-neck collar that allows for a secure hold, these earbuds were designed to meet the demands of high intensity interval training. They’ll also give you up to nine hours of battery life, which isn’t bad considering the price. ($59, www.skullcandy.com)
What are your favorite go-to wireless headphones and earbuds? Tell us about them, below.
Featured image courtesy of Plantronics.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.