This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Chase Sapphire Reserve
This week, Marriott a new partnership with Korean Air, adding to its existing partnerships with other airlines like British Airways, American Airlines, JetBlue and more. With this new deal, Marriott Rewards members can now earn Korean SKYPASS miles when they stay at more than 4,300 Marriott properties around the globe, and they can also convert their Marriott Rewards into SKYPASS miles.
This new partnership is a good opportunity for Marriott Rewards members to earn miles with Korean Air just for staying at Marriott properties as they normally would. The Marriott Rewards program is especially known for its seven-night Hotel + Air Packages, which reward members with miles for partner airlines when they use Marriott Rewards points to book a stay. However, because Korean is such a new partner, the carrier hasn’t yet been added to a category on Marriott’s website. But when the carrier is added, this will be a great redemption for your Marriott Rewards points, letting you convert points while also booking a seven-night award stay.
For Marriott Rewards members who stay at select Marriott properties and designate Korean Air SKYPASS as their preferred airline will receive:
- Two SKYPASS miles per dollar on qualifying hotel charges at JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Marriott, Marriott Vacation Club and Delta Hotels by Marriott properties
- Two SKYPASS miles per dollar on the room rate only at Ritz-Carlton, EDITION and Gaylord Hotels
- One SKYPASS mile per dollar on the room rate only at Courtyard, AC Hotels, SpringHills Suites, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Marriott Executive Apartments, Moxy and Protea Hotels by Marriott
In addition, Marriott Rewards members can also choose to convert their Marriott Rewards points to SKYPASS miles at the following rates:
|Marriott Rewards Points||SKYPASS Miles|
Ideally you should have a specific redemption in mind before transferring your Marriott Rewards points to Korean. There are some good Korean Air redemptions available, such as flying from New York to Seoul one-way in first class for 80,000 SKYPASS miles plus taxes and fees. However, to get to that level, you’d need to convert 350,000 Marriott Rewards points — worth $2,450 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.
Although converting Marriott Rewards points to Korean might seem like a good idea (and it well could be if you have excess points you don’t know what to do with), you can also transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Korean Air at a 1:1 ratio. The new Chase Sapphire Reserve Card comes with a sign-up bonus of 100,000 Ultimate Rewards points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months — that’s enough for four round-trip economy flights from anywhere in the US to Hawaii. The card also earns you 3x points per dollar on both travel and dining purchases.
This is one of the top premium cards out there since you earn 3x on all travel and dining and have access to great perks like a $300 travel credit each cardmember year, 50% more value when you redeem points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards and you get elite travel benefits like Global Entry application fee rebate, Priority Pass Select and special rental car privileges.
- Earn 50K bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- Named a ‘Best Travel Credit Card for 2017’ by MONEY® Magazine
- 3X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. Plus, no foreign transaction fees
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®