This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
The battle between Uber and Lyft and each company’s stamp on cities across the country — and the world — continues to develop. It seems as though the two are constantly coming up with new ways to partner with other companies in an effort to attract a larger, more loyal following. Uber, however, remains far ahead of Lyft in terms of its reach.
Last month, Uber announced its partnership with American Airlines, which sends reminders to AA passengers about booking an Uber and gave Executive Platinum members $25 off their next ride. And now, Southwest is joining the equation with Lyft.
The partnership offers first-time Lyft customers who are also Southwest customers a one-time deal — you can either redeem the offer for 1,100 Rapid Rewards points or for a $15 free ride from now until the end of 2016.
The offer is available for first-time Lyft riders traveling through the following airports:
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
- Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
- Dallas Love Field (DAL)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Louisville International Airport (SDF)
- McCarren International Airport (LAS)
- Nashville International Airport (BNA)
- Oakland International Airport (OAK)
- Reagan National Airport (DCA)
- San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
- San Diego International Airport (SAN)
To redeem the offer for 1,100 Rapid Rewards points, which is worth just over $16 based on TPG’s most recent valuations, you must be a Southwest Rapid Rewards member. Those not looking for the extra points or those who aren’t part of the Rapid Rewards program can redeem the offer for $15 off their first ride. The two offers cannot be combined.
To take advantage, Rapid Rewards members should sign up for Lyft with their Rapid Rewards information here, take their first ride and Southwest will add the credit to their account. Although Southwest noted that you don’t need to be a Rapid Rewards member to use the $15 off, when I reached out to Lyft on Twitter, the company stated that you do, in fact, need to be a Rapid Rewards member in order to take advantage of the promotion.
You can also increase your Rapid Rewards stash by signing up for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card. You’ll earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first three months, as well as an additional 6,000 points on your cardmember anniversary — well on your way to earning the Companion Pass. You’ll earn 2 points per dollar spent with Southwest and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases. There’s a $99 annual fee for this card.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.