This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now’s a great time to be booking award travel on American Airlines in preparation of the devaluation on March 22. While it’s become difficult to find premium-cabin award space on some routes, you can currently book several award seats to a handful of destinations in South America.
If you’re planning a trip to one of the countries in AA’s South America Region 2 category — including Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Uruguay — there are currently quite a few opportunities to fly in a premium seat. Flights on these routes will be increasing by 7,500 miles each way in business class and 22,500 each way in first class following the devaluation, so don’t wait to book!
Many of the destinations currently have great award availability in business class and limited availability in first class on select routes. The best availability seems to be on flights from cities on the East Coast — including New York and Miami — however you may be able to find at least a few dates from other cities AA serves. Keep in mind that you may need to acquire a visa or pay a reciprocity fee to visit some of these countries (although Brazil is waiving the requirement this summer).
Note that all of the examples below have at least four seats available in business class!
New York (JFK) to São Paulo (GRU):
New York (JFK) to Buenos Aires (EZE):
Miami (MIA) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG):
Miami (MIA) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) in First Class:
Note that depending on your origin and destination, you might have a connection en route to your final destination. Additionally, some of these flights are operated by AA’s flagship 777-300ER aircraft, so try to grab a seat on that plane if you can.
Availability could disappear pretty quickly, so if you think you might want to book, call AA right away at 800-882-8880 to put your dates on hold. If there’s a long wait, try an international call center, instead.
H/T: View from the Wing
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.