This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now’s a great time to be booking award travel on American Airlines in preparation of the devaluation on March 22. While it’s become difficult to find premium-cabin award space on some routes, you can currently book several award seats to a handful of destinations in South America.
If you’re planning a trip to one of the countries in AA’s South America Region 2 category — including Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Uruguay — there are currently quite a few opportunities to fly in a premium seat. Flights on these routes will be increasing by 7,500 miles each way in business class and 22,500 each way in first class following the devaluation, so don’t wait to book!
Many of the destinations currently have great award availability in business class and limited availability in first class on select routes. The best availability seems to be on flights from cities on the East Coast — including New York and Miami — however you may be able to find at least a few dates from other cities AA serves. Keep in mind that you may need to acquire a visa or pay a reciprocity fee to visit some of these countries (although Brazil is waiving the requirement this summer).
Note that all of the examples below have at least four seats available in business class!
New York (JFK) to São Paulo (GRU):
New York (JFK) to Buenos Aires (EZE):
Miami (MIA) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG):
Miami (MIA) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) in First Class:
Note that depending on your origin and destination, you might have a connection en route to your final destination. Additionally, some of these flights are operated by AA’s flagship 777-300ER aircraft, so try to grab a seat on that plane if you can.
Availability could disappear pretty quickly, so if you think you might want to book, call AA right away at 800-882-8880 to put your dates on hold. If there’s a long wait, try an international call center, instead.
H/T: View from the Wing
Earn 50,000 miles after $2,500 spent within the first 3 months. The sign-up offer alone is worth up to $700. If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights can be extremely valuable.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- New: Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*