This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US passport holders are used to having nearly unrestricted access to travel anywhere we’d like, but there are a few notable exceptions. Brazil is one — the country usually requires that any visitor entering with a US passport secure a 10-year tourist visa, which comes along with a hefty $160 application fee. Fortunately, with the 2016 Summer Olympics on the way, Brazil will temporarily suspend that requirement.
From June 1 through September 18, tourists from the US, Australia, Canada and Japan will be able to enter Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa. This exception is even more generous than China’s new six-day visa waiver, allowing visitors to stay in the country for a much longer period. Additionally, the Brazilian waiver doesn’t have a transit requirement, so you can fly round-trip to Brazil without a visa during that period.
In general, if you do need help with visas, we recommend our friends at Allied Passport & Visa. For more on Brazil, check out Destination of the Week: Rio de Janeiro and 10 Photos: Rio de Janeiro, along with our list of 13 Must-Visit Destinations for 2016.
With a waived visa requirement, will you consider a trip to Brazil?
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.