This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Citi / AAdvantage Gold World Elite Mastercard
American Airlines and Citi currently offer reduced mileage awards — the latest iteration of which allow you to book discounted travel through May 2016.
We covered the February-March airports in this post from December, so now we’re going to focus on the April and May airports. Remember, the discount applies to flights both to and from the listed cities.
If you have one of the following cards, you can save 7,500 miles off of a round-trip award ticket (or 3,750 off one-way):
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard
Or, you’re eligible for 5,000 miles off of a round-trip award ticket (or 2,500 off one-way) if you have one of the following:
- Citi / AAdvantage Gold World Elite Mastercard (as well as the old Visa and Amex versions)
- AAdvantage Aviator Blue MasterCard (not accepting new applications)
If you have multiple types of cards (i.e. Executive World Elite and Platinum Select), you’re only eligible to get one 7,500/5,000-mile discount. However, if you have a qualifying card, these awards are eligible for the 10% mileage rebate. So, your net mileage cost for a round-trip economy flight could be just 15,750 miles.
There are 84 airports on the list for April. Since that’s a rather overwhelming list, we have mapped them for you. Not mapped (for space): Reno (RNO), Calgary (YYC) and Edmonton (YEG).
Some of the notable airports:
- Asheville, NC (AVL)
- Kansas City, MO (MCI)
- Key West, FL (EYW)
- Montreal, Quebec (YUL)
- Reno, NV (RNO) — catch the end of ski season!
- Gulf Coast: Mobile, AL (MOB), Pensacola, FL (PNS), Valparaiso/Destin, FL (VPS), Gulfport, MS (GPT)
May’s list is shorter, but still includes 53 airports. Not mapped (for space): Palm Springs (PSP), Reno (RNO), Calgary (YYC) and Edmonton (YEG).
Some of the notable airports:
- Fort Wayne, IN (FWA) — a short drive from Indianapolis (May 29: 100th Indianapolis 500)
- Key West, FL (EYW)
- Lexington, KY (LEX) — a short drive from Louisville (May 7: Kentucky Derby)
- New Orleans, LA (MSY) — Jazz Fest ends May 1st
- San Antonio, TX (SAT)
- Tampa, FL (TPA)
- West Palm Beach (PBI)
How To Book
Once you’ve found MileSAAver award availability on American Airlines’ website, call American Airlines at 1-800-882-8880 (or your elite reservations number, if applicable) to book the award ticket. As these awards aren’t available for booking online, the booking agent that you speak with should waive the standard $30 phone-booking fee.
For February-May 2016 reduced mileage awards, the discount code that you’ll have to provide the agent is:
7,500 mile discount award codes
- First Class — UD21X2E / AVM13
- Main Cabin — TD8X7E / AVM12
5,000 mile discount award codes
- First Class — UD22X5E / AVM11
- Main Cabin — TD10E / AVM10
Keep in mind the following as well:
1. The discount requires booking by March 31.
2. The $75 close-in booking fee still applies to award flights within 21 days — waived when American Airlines Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum are using miles from their account.
3. As you can tell by the codes above, the 7,500/5,000 discount is available for domestic first-class flights.
4. If you want to take advantage of the reduced mileage awards for flights to Canada, book by March 22 to get economy round-trip flights for 17,500 (after 7,500 reduction). If you book after March 22, flights to Canada will cost you 5,000 more miles per economy round-trip.
Are you planning to book any of these reduced mileage awards for April and May?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees