This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines and Citi currently offer reduced mileage awards — the latest of which allow you to book discounted travel through March 2016. Citi AAdvantage cardholders can save up to 7,500 miles on round-trip award flights, depending on which card you have. To determine eligibility, visit AA’s website and find your card on the list of applicable cards. The cards with the best discount include the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard and the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard , as well as some of AA’s Aviator cards.
Along with the eligibility requirements, AA has also included a list of cities and their respective travel dates available at the discounted rates for booking. Not all cities are available throughout the entire period, however the vast majority seem to have at least two or three months available at the discounted rate. After determining which discount you’re eligible for, simply choose your destination and book by calling American’s customer service center (1-800-882-8880) or book in-person at an airport or ticketing office. As a general rule, it may be helpful to search for award space on your desired flight before calling customer service using AA’s website.
Applicable flights for the reduced rate are available to a variety of destinations, ranging from Montreal to Jackson Hole to Key West, FL — in total, there are a ton of small and large cities to choose from. For a complete list and travel dates for which these dates are available (they vary by destination), visit AA’s website.
Some cities you can visit in Q1 on a reduced mileage award:
- Austin, TX (AUS)
- Jackson Hole, WY (JAC)
- Kansas City, MO (MCI)
- Key West, FL (EYW)
- Montreal, Quebec (YUL)
- New Orleans, LA (MSY)
- Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)
- Vail, Colorado (EGE)
- West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
This current promotion includes travel dates between December 2015 and March 2016 — shortly before AA’s upcoming devaluation. Also be aware that AA should waive its $30 phone-booking fee since you cannot book these tickets online.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.