This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines and Citi currently offer reduced mileage awards — the latest of which allow you to book discounted travel through March 2016. Citi AAdvantage cardholders can save up to 7,500 miles on round-trip award flights, depending on which card you have. To determine eligibility, visit AA’s website and find your card on the list of applicable cards. The cards with the best discount include the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard and the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard , as well as some of AA’s Aviator cards.
Along with the eligibility requirements, AA has also included a list of cities and their respective travel dates available at the discounted rates for booking. Not all cities are available throughout the entire period, however the vast majority seem to have at least two or three months available at the discounted rate. After determining which discount you’re eligible for, simply choose your destination and book by calling American’s customer service center (1-800-882-8880) or book in-person at an airport or ticketing office. As a general rule, it may be helpful to search for award space on your desired flight before calling customer service using AA’s website.
Applicable flights for the reduced rate are available to a variety of destinations, ranging from Montreal to Jackson Hole to Key West, FL — in total, there are a ton of small and large cities to choose from. For a complete list and travel dates for which these dates are available (they vary by destination), visit AA’s website.
Some cities you can visit in Q1 on a reduced mileage award:
- Austin, TX (AUS)
- Jackson Hole, WY (JAC)
- Kansas City, MO (MCI)
- Key West, FL (EYW)
- Montreal, Quebec (YUL)
- New Orleans, LA (MSY)
- Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)
- Vail, Colorado (EGE)
- West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
This current promotion includes travel dates between December 2015 and March 2016 — shortly before AA’s upcoming devaluation. Also be aware that AA should waive its $30 phone-booking fee since you cannot book these tickets online.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees