Delta Extends New Bags On Time Guarantee Indefinitely
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Earlier this year, Delta introduced a checked bag guarantee program for a limited trial period. The program was set to expire on March 31, but Delta has now confirmed that the program will become a permanent fixture. Delta spokesperson Morgan Durrant noted that, “customer response was positive and our employees are rallying to achieve the 20-minute mark,” so it seems as though the guarantee is here to stay.
Delta’s New Bags On Time Guarantee
SkyMiles members whose bags are more than 20 minutes late to baggage claim in a domestic U.S. airport are now eligible for the new Bags On Time Guarantee of 2,500 SkyMiles.
The guarantee covers all domestic itineraries including those operated by Delta Connection partners. The time from aircraft to baggage carousel will be measured by Delta’s bag tracking system, and all late baggage claims will need to be filed via the Delta website.
The new baggage guarantee is a step in the right direction for the ever-changing Delta SkyMiles program. It’s not uncommon for bags to take more than 20 minutes to hit the carousel, though it’s unclear exactly how Delta’s system calculates that time. I’ll be interested to see how claims are treated, and how quickly they’re processed. If Delta measures the delay fairly, this guarantee could help boost your SkyMiles balance if you frequent delay-prone airports.
Using my most recent monthly valuations, 2500 SkyMiles is worth about $30. Considering that the first checked bag on all domestic Delta flights costs $25, this guarantee basically serves as a refund if you pay for a checked bag and it doesn’t arrive on time.
Of course, if you fly Delta often and would rather avoid those bag fees altogether, I recommend a look at the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express (or one of the other co-branded cards from American Express). Among other benefits, the Gold card allows you one free checked bag for you and up to eight people traveling with you on every Delta flight.
What are your thoughts on Delta’s new baggage guarantee?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.