Should I take Uber or a Taxi from MIA to South Beach?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader David tweeted me to ask:
@thepointsguy– “Miami Airport (MIA) to South Beach and vice versa. Which should I take: Uber or airport taxi?”
Today I’m answering questions from the gorgeous Andaz Maui in Hawaii. Here’s the deal: I love Uber. I’ve used it all around the world, from Paris to to Los Angeles, but I really dislike Uber in Miami for several reasons.
I’m certainly happy that Uber X exists in Miami. We’re certainly better off with it than without it; sometimes on busy weekends you can’t get a taxi in Miami, like during Art Basel, and Uber X makes it feasible to get around.
However, it is just Uber X, meaning no official drivers. Basically anyone who wants to drive can, and I’ve had more than a few frustrating situations with drivers having no idea where they’re going. It’s also actually illegal in Miami, so when you get picked up at the airport, they have to be really shady about it so they don’t get in trouble. I’ve been asked to sit in the front seat before so the airport police won’t catch on. Also, they can’t really hang out at the airport and wait, so they often have to make the loop around. I’ve had instances where it says four minutes, and forty-four minutes later, I’m still waiting!
As much as I dislike Miami taxis (they never let you use credit cards and are often shady) at least they usually know where they’re going, and you can typically get one right away when you leave the airport. Taxis to South Beach are typically about $35. Uber might be slightly cheaper (especially if you have an Uber credit), but it may be more hassle than it’s worth.
I can’t wait until Uber (and not just Uber X) is actually legal in Miami, and they bring in official black cars and drivers. If you ever want to get a black car from Miami airport to South Beach, that 15-minute ride is going to cost you about $90+!
So really, both of the options kinda stink, but I would probably go with a taxi. Good luck and let’s hope Uber becomes legal in Miami soon!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees