This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Per this Flyertalk thread, several Starwood Preferred Guest accounts have been hacked, with their points redeemed for gift cards. If you notice that your SPG account shows that points have been redeemed for unauthorized transactions, contact Starwood Preferred Guest, who will be able to help recover your points.
It seems as Starwood is also trying to be proactive, having sent the following email to their members:
Some account-security best practices that Starwood recommends include:
1. Using different log-in credentials on spg.com than you use on other websites.
2. Checking your account often and looking for emails that notify you about account changes.
3. Changing your password regularly.
4. Promptly reporting any suspicious activity to SPG at (888) 625-4988
If you’ve noticed your account has missing points, immediately contact Starwood at the number above, as they’ve already been working with other members in re-depositing Starpoints. In the meantime, it’s always a good idea to closely monitor all of your loyalty accounts. One service I recommend is AwardWallet, which can keep track of many hotel, airline, and credit card program balances in one place. Another good recommendation is to use different passwords for each of your accounts.
If anyone has had their SPG accounts hacked and are missing points, feel free to comment below on what happened, and if you were able to recover your Starpoints.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel