SPG Accounts Hacked: Always Monitor Your Accounts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Per this Flyertalk thread, several Starwood Preferred Guest accounts have been hacked, with their points redeemed for gift cards. If you notice that your SPG account shows that points have been redeemed for unauthorized transactions, contact Starwood Preferred Guest, who will be able to help recover your points.
It seems as Starwood is also trying to be proactive, having sent the following email to their members:
Some account-security best practices that Starwood recommends include:
1. Using different log-in credentials on spg.com than you use on other websites.
2. Checking your account often and looking for emails that notify you about account changes.
3. Changing your password regularly.
4. Promptly reporting any suspicious activity to SPG at (888) 625-4988
If you’ve noticed your account has missing points, immediately contact Starwood at the number above, as they’ve already been working with other members in re-depositing Starpoints. In the meantime, it’s always a good idea to closely monitor all of your loyalty accounts. One service I recommend is AwardWallet, which can keep track of many hotel, airline, and credit card program balances in one place. Another good recommendation is to use different passwords for each of your accounts.
If anyone has had their SPG accounts hacked and are missing points, feel free to comment below on what happened, and if you were able to recover your Starpoints.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.