SPG Accounts Hacked: Always Monitor Your Accounts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Per this Flyertalk thread, several Starwood Preferred Guest accounts have been hacked, with their points redeemed for gift cards. If you notice that your SPG account shows that points have been redeemed for unauthorized transactions, contact Starwood Preferred Guest, who will be able to help recover your points.
It seems as Starwood is also trying to be proactive, having sent the following email to their members:
Some account-security best practices that Starwood recommends include:
1. Using different log-in credentials on spg.com than you use on other websites.
2. Checking your account often and looking for emails that notify you about account changes.
3. Changing your password regularly.
4. Promptly reporting any suspicious activity to SPG at (888) 625-4988
If you’ve noticed your account has missing points, immediately contact Starwood at the number above, as they’ve already been working with other members in re-depositing Starpoints. In the meantime, it’s always a good idea to closely monitor all of your loyalty accounts. One service I recommend is AwardWallet, which can keep track of many hotel, airline, and credit card program balances in one place. Another good recommendation is to use different passwords for each of your accounts.
If anyone has had their SPG accounts hacked and are missing points, feel free to comment below on what happened, and if you were able to recover your Starpoints.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.