Delta Same Day Confirm Policy Changes Yet Again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Delta made some major changes to their Same Day Confirm policy, which requires that the same class of service must be available to change instead of just cabin to cabin availability. This means that if you were booked on a cheap fare, most likely you wouldn’t be able to Same Day Confirm and would be forced to do Same Day Standby.
Per this Flyertalk thread, there were rumors that Delta was making more changes to their Same Day Confirm policy, so I reached out to my official Delta rep, who confirmed that you can no longer Same Day Confirm from a connecting flight to a non-stop flight. This is a huge negative; Delta’s SDC rules are already extremely limited, and this just adds another obstacle.
As a reminder, Delta Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members can Same Day Confirm for no charge. If the same fare class isn’t available on the flight you want, you’ll be forced to use their Same Day Standby option, in which case you’ll only be confirmed at the gate if there’s a seat available.
The good news is that you can still Same Day Confirm from a non-stop to a connecting flight to earn more miles. One of the main reasons I think they did this was to protect their premium Fist Class Transcontinental routes such as JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA. Previously, you could book New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) via Salt Lake (SLC) and then switch to the direct New York (JFK)- Los Angeles (LAX) in the BusinessElite cabin, but this latest change nixes that option.
By comparison, American charges $75 for a confirmed change for everyone regardless of elite status level. The alternate flights must be for the same itinerary. Your flight change can be confirmed within 24 hours of departure of the desired flight.
As for United, SDC’s are Free for 1k, Platinum and Gold, or $75 for non-elite/Silver. The same-day flight change option is available within a full 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight, and the requested flight can be in any fare class and depart within 24 hours from when the request is made. The only requirement is that changes must be made prior to your original scheduled flight.
Hat Tip: Flyertalk
What do you think of the latest changes to Delta’s Same Day Confirm policy? Will they change the way you travel?
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees