Flying to Australia from North America on Air New Zealand and United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Air New Zealand and United are Star Alliance partners, and route all their North American flights through Los Angeles, San Francisco and/or Vancouver. The following are the flight numbers and schedules for all ANZ flights that route through Los Angeles (as well as their Auckland-Australia connections) and United’s non-stop flights from LAX and SFO to/from SYD. A (2+) signifies a flight that arrives two days later than its departure. Also below, you’ll find advice on mileage programs and credit cards associated with these airlines.
AIR NEW ZEALAND
From North America, Air New Zealand offers direct flights to Auckland, New Zealand from Los Angeles, San Francisco and Vancouver. Connecting flights travel from Auckland to these destinations in Australia: Adelaide, Brisbane, Cairns, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Sydney.
NORTH AMERICA-AUCKLAND CONNECTIONS
Los Angeles – Auckland
LAX-AKL: NZ0001 9:15/9:45pm – 5:45/7:15am (2+); NZ0005 10:30pm-6:30am (2+)
AKL-LAX: NZ0006 7:40pm-12:55pm; NZ0002 10:45pm-2:00pm
San Francisco -Auckland
SFO-AKL: NZ0007 9:15pm-5:25pm (2+)
AKL-SFO: NZ0008 7:15pm-12:15pm
Vancouver – Auckland
YVR-AKL: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday: NZ83 6:30pm-5:45am (2+)
AKL-YVR: Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: NZ84 8:00pm-12:15pm
AKL-ADL: NZ0791 8:00/8:20am – 10:20/10:40am (except Saturday)
ADL-AKL: NZ0792 11:20/11:40am – 6:05/6:20pm (except Wednesday)
AKL-BNE: NZ0135 9:30am-11:10 am; NZ0139 4:05-5:50pm
BNE-AKL: NZ0136 12:25-5:25pm; NZ0734 6:55pm-12:05am
AKL-CNS: NZ0775 7:10am-10:50am or 9:15am-12:55am
CNS-AKL: NZ0776 11:50am-6:30pm or 1:55pm-8:35 pm
AKL-OOL: NZ0937 6:30am-8:10am
OOL-AKL: NZ0936 6:30pm-11:30pm
AKL-MEL: NZ0123 8:30am-10:30am; NZ0725 3:30pm-5:30pm; NZ0721 7:00pm-9:00pm (this flight, Sunday only)
MEL-AKL: NZ0124 11:45am-5:15pm; NZ0726 6:30pm-11:59pm
AKL-PER: NZ0175 2:30pm-6:10pm
PER-AKL: NZ0176 7:25pm-5:40am
NZ0105 4:00pm-5:30pm (except Saturday)
NZ0104 11:30/11:45am – 4:35/4:45pm
NZ0118 3:30/3:45pm – 8:35/8:45pm
NZ0706 5:10/5:30pm – 10:15/10:35pm
NZ0708 6:40/6:45pm – 11:40/11:45pm
Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars are calculated with a simple formula: $1NZ = 1 Airpoint. In other words, if your flight costs NZ$3,500, it will require an exchange of 3,500 Airpoints.
Airpoints can be used with partner airline Virgin Australia, at the following exchange rates:
North America>New Zealand (r/t): Economy 1,500; Premium Economy 2,240; Business 4,080; First 5,160
New Zealand>Australia (r/t): Economy 460; Premium Economy 750; Business 1,440; First 1,890
To maximize your Airpoints, consider SPG Rewards cards like the Starwood American Express or Starwood Business American Express; Starpoints transfer at a 1:1 ratio to Air New Zealand. You can also redeem any Star Alliance miles (e.g., those earned by Chase Ultimate Rewards) for flights on Air New Zealand. Award availability on Air New Zealand is scarce, so it’s advisable to visit ExpertFlyer to set seat alerts that will tell you when award seats become available.
Beginning October 26th, United Airlines will begin running non-stop flights between Los Angeles and Melbourne, 6 days a week. At present, the airline offers the following non-stop, daily flights from Los Angeles and San Francisco to Sydney; however, note that with the addition of the LAX-MEL flights, these times are likely to change:
LAX-SYD: 9:50pm-6:10 am (2+)
United MileagePlus Awards can be exchanged for North America>Australia round-trips at these general rates:
Roundtrip Saver – Economy 80,000; Business: 140,000
Roundtrip Standard – Economy 170,000; Business 350,000
Star Alliance/Star Awards can be exchanged for these general rates:
Economy 80,000; Business 160,000; First 260,000
To maximize your United MileagePlus miles, the United MileagePlus Explorer Card now comes with up to 65,000 miles (log into your MileagePlus account to find your own best offer), and the $95 annual fee is waived the first year. Or, consider Chase Ultimate Rewards cards like Sapphire Preferred and Ink Bold, and SPG Rewards cards like the Starwood American Express or Starwood Business American Express; Chase Ultimate Rewards and Starpoints transfer instantly at a 1:1 ratio to United.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees