Financial Times Reports Qatar to Join Oneworld Alliance
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s been a lot of speculation and confusion this week around which airline will be joining the Oneworld alliance on October 8th, when the major CEO’s of the alliance’s members are set to make a big announcement. Flightglobal.com speculated Qatar was the new addition, but Qatar’s CEO vehemently denied the claims yesterday leading some to believe the new addition would be LAN/TAM (though I already thought it was understood that the newly merged carrier would be staying in Oneworld).
However, the FT just reported (free subscription required) that Qatar is indeed the new addition and that, “The move is a coup for oneworld, whose members are led by American Airlines and British Airways, and underlines how the Gulf carriers may no longer be viewed with hostility by western airlines.”
This is great news for anyone with Oneworld mileage currencies like American AAdvantage miles and British Airways Avios. You can already redeem AA miles on Etihad and once Qatar joins the alliance, there will be even more coverage throughout the Middle East and beyond to destinations like the Maldives and India. I just hope AA doesn’t levy huge fuel surcharges on Qatar awards.
I’ve never flown Qatar, whose main hub is in Doha, and I recently missed the opportunity to redeem United miles for Qatar awards, which ended on September 15, 2012. They are a 1:1 transfer partner of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, but I think I’m most excited to be able to redeem British Airways Avios, which is a transfer partner of both Chase Ultimate Rewards and American Express Membership Rewards (which recently ran a 40% transfer bonus).
The Oneworld press conference is October 8th, so I’m expecting we will hear more details and an exact timeline on that date.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees