Debating the Merits of Delta SkyMiles at Frequent Traveler University
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This past weekend was Frequent Traveler University at the Sheraton Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ, just outside New York. I was asked to give one of the presentations, so on Saturday morning, I debated Gary Leff from View From The Wing about the relative merits of Delta SkyMiles. I, of course, took the “pro” position while Gary took the “con.”
Our talk turned out to be less of a debate–we pretty much agreed with each other on most points–than a discussion of how to pull the most value out of those Delta SkyMiles, which I think is a much more useful topic for everyone. I’m the first to admit that there are many drawbacks to the program (I ranked them 6th out of the top 6 frequent flyer programs), but it is worth highlighting what is good about it, and encouraging people to get the most out of their SkyMiles by mastering the program’s rules.
The presentation lasted well over an hour and we were able to film the first part of my own presentation (just about 10 minutes worth) to give you a taste of what we talked about and what goes on at these events in case you’re interested in signing up for future conferences like this one, including the Chicago Seminars in October.
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and discounted Delta Sky Club access.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights - that's a savings of up to $240 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.