American Airlines Files for Bankruptcy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
AA just filed for bankruptcy today, which isn’t the most surprising thing since people have been speculating about it since early October when their shares tumbled 40 percent on bankruptcy fears. That being said, I don’t think many people expected it to happen so quickly.
I think the big thing to note is that this does not mean AA is dissolving. It will be business as usual while they figure everything out and likely force big concessions on their unions and probably sell even more miles to Citibank.
As far as miles go, they are fine, but as with all miles – I’d recommend using them sooner than later. The AAdvantage program is likely a profit center so it would most likely be sold off in a worst case scenario, but honestly no one really knows what is going to happen.
Don’t panic, but stay up to date on the news. I’ll be posting again when I hear more details!
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees