American Airlines Files for Bankruptcy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
AA just filed for bankruptcy today, which isn’t the most surprising thing since people have been speculating about it since early October when their shares tumbled 40 percent on bankruptcy fears. That being said, I don’t think many people expected it to happen so quickly.
I think the big thing to note is that this does not mean AA is dissolving. It will be business as usual while they figure everything out and likely force big concessions on their unions and probably sell even more miles to Citibank.
As far as miles go, they are fine, but as with all miles – I’d recommend using them sooner than later. The AAdvantage program is likely a profit center so it would most likely be sold off in a worst case scenario, but honestly no one really knows what is going to happen.
Don’t panic, but stay up to date on the news. I’ll be posting again when I hear more details!
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.