Amazing Deal Alert: 100% Delta Transfer Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From now until September 30. 2011 Delta is running a 100% promotion on purchased and transferred Skymiles. Is this a good deal? It can be, if you use the miles wisely (and I’ve written a lot on how to maximize Delta awards, like here, here, here and here). The transfer option is more lucrative than buying Miles. Let’s take a look:
Buy Miles: Miles cost 3.5 cents a piece, with a maximum purchase of 60,000 per year (120,000 including bonus) and the price comes to $2,100 for a grand total of 120,000 miles. 120,000 Delta miles will get you to Asia in business class or like I did this summer – Europe and most of Africa (except South Africa, which is 140,000). Would you pay $2,100 for a business class trip to to Asia or Africa? I know I would. However, the transfer miles is a much better deal as long as you have miles to work with.
Transfer Miles: Cost is 1 cent a mile to transfer plus a $30 fee per transfer, with a maximum transfer of 150,000 per year (300,000 received) and they can only be transferred in 30,000 mile segments. So in essence you are buying miles at 1.1 cents each since each transfer of 30,000 miles costs $330. If you max out this promo, you would do that 5 times for $1,650 and you’d end up with 150,000 new Skymiles. 150,000 Skymiles can get you business class from the US to Australia (even on partner airline V Australia), US to Tahiti in business class on Air France. This is an incredible deal.
While Skymiles are among the hardest miles to use due to Delta.com being broken and the award engine pricing awards at eye-popping levels, huge value can be had – especially when booking partner awards because they are always at the low level. Also beware that Delta just instituted a nasty rule that awards can not be changed within 72 hours of departure. You may have to jump through hoops to use these miles, but I do firmly believe there is huge value with Skymiles, because I’ve personally redeemed them for unbelievable trips.
Before getting in on this promotion, I recommend researching your potential awards before you get the miles so you know what you are in for. An Expertflyer subscription will make your life easier because it shows partner award space on Air France/KLM/Alitalia/China Southern/Aeroflot/Air Europa/Alaska/China Eastern/Air Tahiti Nui/Gol/Hawaiian and Malaysian. While Delta award space is not on Expertflyer, you can search for mileage upgrade space.
As always – feel free to comment below with any questions.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees