Delta Officially Rolls Out Economy Comfort Cabin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In February Delta announced they’d be adding a premium economy cabin to their international flights – a decision which I hailed as a tall traveler. These seats are the same exact seats as coach, but they come with 4 more inches of much needed legroom and up to 50% more recline. If they are anything like KLM’s Economy Comfort seats (which I adore), I will be a happy man. Granted, after my 3 Delta trans-Atlantic flights to Stockholm and Copenhagen, I’ve sworn off international coach travel (at least until the next amazing mistake fare), but I do look forward to trying out this new product. I heard they would be on the JFK-LAX BusinessElite equipped planes, though I didn’t notice them on my recent JFK-LAX flight because I was upgraded to BusinessElite.
Economy Comfort is free for Diamond and Platinum Medallions and up to 8 guests who are on their same itinerary.
Golds get a 50% off discount and Silver is 25%. There are no discounts/freebies on award tickets at this time.
This week they officially announced that Economy Comfort is ready for purchase on flights after June 1, 2011. Seat maps have been updated to show Economy Comfort seats by a green shading.
You can’t select an Economy Comfort seat at the time of purchase – you have do go in after the trip is booked and then select the EC seats. A non-Medallion friend is flying JFK-Madrid this summer and she is being offered EC for $80. Personally, I’d pay that in a heartbeat, but I wonder about other people. Is 4″ of legroom, 50% more recline and unlimited cocktails worth an extra $80 for a 6-9 hour flight?
Overall, I think this is a great addition to the Delta offering and I hope it’s a smart business move that encourages other airlines to offer a reasonable alternative for those who can’t afford business class fares, but need more room than traditional coach seating provides.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees