Continental Makes Upgrades to Online Award Booking Engine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Continental.com is one of the better airline sites for booking awards – it shows a decent amount of partner availability and it can put together some pretty robust, complicated trips. Historically, my three biggest gripes with it were 1) That it will sneakily book you into the wrong cabin of service 2) That international first class is not searchable and 3) Not all Star Alliance partners are shown.
Well, this past weekend two of those concerns were addressed by some pretty nifty updates to the award booking tool at continental.com. Issues with the “sneaky” award pricing are now resolved by a “Mixed Cabin” icon that alerts the user to double-check that their cabins requested are indeed what’s included. The second change is the addition of international first class, which on one hand will make award searches easier, but harder because I’m sure more people will book these awards, thus reducing availability for those of us who are “in the know.” However, I think these changes are a big step forward for frequent flyers and I hope the other airlines take notice. American and US Airways are awful at showing partner award availability (in fact, they pretty much don’t at all) and Delta has a lot of things to work out from an IT perspective as well as with showing more partner availability online (I would LOVE to get back the nwa.com functionality of booking Korean Airline awards!).
While Continental definitely leads the pack, they still could improve the Star Alliance availability by adding Swiss, Turkish, TAM, Singapore and South African availability. And for those of you with US Airways, United or any other Star Alliance miles – you can use Continental.com to search for Star Alliance awards and then call your carrier to get them booked. All Saver Pass awards should be bookable using any Star Alliance miles. And for anyone with United miles, you can switch them to your Continental account instantly (and vice versa) for free using this method.
What are your thoughts on these enhancements? Is it selfish of me to be upset that first class awards are now showing online for all to book?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees