United to Install Lie-Flat Seats on Transcontinental P.S. Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United had their Investor Day yesterday and CEO Jeff Smisek spoke at length about the newly merged carrier’s plans. Key things to note:
1) More changes coming to the frequent flyer program that both customers and shareholders will like
2) Fully lie-flat seats on transcontinental (JFK-LAX/SFO and possibly more) flights. This would put United way ahead of what Delta, American and Virgin America offer in their premium cabins
3) First class will remain on international flights in some markets for “a while.” (Check out my review of the international 767 United First class here)
4) Clubs will be improving
5) Focus is on profit
Overall, it seems like they are really focusing on improving their premium product and attracting the business traveler. What this means to upgrades is still to be determined, but it’s nice to see them focusing on their product, instead of cheapening it (though they did just get rid of all meals and snacks in coach).
It will be interesting to see how American and Delta react – both of their premium products have a long way to go before they can be considered industry leading.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees