United/ Continental Merger Update: Reciprocal Key Elite Benefits Now Live
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While United and Continental are officially on the way to become a hopefully united new United, there’s a lot to be done to implement one unified airline to the outside world. Some major changes to come:
1) Repainting planes to match one standard new United logo
2) Getting rid of continental.com
3) Merging the OnePass program into United Mileage Plus
4) And much, much more.
In the meantime, the key perks of elite status of both airlines have been streamlined. Both elites now get upgraded at the normal window for domestic upgrades, can select extra legroom/economy plus seats and have access to priority seating areas.
As a Delta flyer that saw the Northwest merger from beginning to end, I wish the Continental and United elited luck as they go through this process. People get very emotionally attached to their airline of choice, so there are bound to be growing pains as the new United brings together two passionate groups of frequent flyers.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That's up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees